The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ya'll.....

Well, I have been officially diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic and the thought of it really scares me. I was diagnosed this past wednesday, so only a little has sunk in. I am a 44 year old Mom of 4 children (4-20 yrs) and I was borderline gestational diabetic with my first and second child and was diagnosed with my 3rd and 4th child. I was told back then that I would most likely develop diabetes later in life, but I sure didnt think it would be now. I dont think it has really hit me, but I am really angry at myself for not taking better care of myself. I am scared but determined to gain control of my life. I am so glad to have found this forum as I have ALOT to learn. This is going to be a tough journey but I am up for the fight. It is all so confusing, just trying to figure it all out. I have a complete physical this week, so I am sure I will know more then. Thanks for listening.

Kelly

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome, Kelly!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Kelly. I think we can help make this an easier & less scary transition for you. Most of what is needed for control is fairly uncomplicated, but the discipline to execute necessary changes to your diet is the hard part. Having friends to support you in the same effort is worth a fortune & you've fallen into a quite large nest of supportive friends. ;)

If you don't yet have a meter, get one as quickly as you can - it'll become your new BEST friend. If you have insurance, find which brands they cover & how many strips (you'll need LOTS of strips here in the beginning). If no insurance, you can get the Walmart ReliOn brand for about $9 or $10, and the strips are half the price of brand name meters.

Ask all the questions you have - we look forward to helping you learn.

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi and welcome kelly..this is an awesome community of helpful and clever people...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome Kelly and sorry you had to develop this complication in life. I does take time to sink in. I am 6 months in myself and still a little overwhelmed with it all. Good thing here is there are plenty of others who are well studied and experienced.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yes, there is a lot to learn, but if you do some reading at the bloodsugar101 website, you will learn a lot of important things pretty quickly. It's a great starting point.

Glad you found us and welcome to the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts