The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back form the Doctors today where I was hit with the news. My blood sugar was over 300. i just got home and have to face the changes to my life, hoping that I can bring it down with the pills and CONTROLLING everything that goes in my mouth. Now only time will tell what the path ahead has for me. I really hope that I will learn a lot from you and get me going.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello! Are you taking two kinds of insulin now? You should be unless your pancreas is still producing some of its own insulin. Some type 1 diabetics are producing a little at the time they are diagnosed. later on, when the pancreas is inactive, two kinds of insulin are necessary. One insulin is slow acting and lasts 24 hours. The other is fast acting and must be used prior to each meal and snack.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 66 years with type 1, I am very healthy. With good care you can have a long, healthy life!

Richard

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. In your bio it says Type 1 but you mention taking pills, not insulin. Did they do a GAD 65 test to confirm type 1 or type 1.5 ( slow onset type 1). If you are a type 1 or 1.5 you will need insulin to replace what your pancreas no longer makes. If you are a type 2, you may be able to control it will pills if you watch the carbs you eat. A good site that helped me in the beginning was Blood Sugar 101

·
Registered
41 Posts
nvoutback said:
I just got back form the Doctors today where I was hit with the news. My blood sugar was over 300. i just got home and have to face the changes to my life, hoping that I can bring it down with the pills and CONTROLLING everything that goes in my mouth. Now only time will tell what the path ahead has for me. I really hope that I will learn a lot from you and get me going.
Hello and welcome. My first measured sugar was 360, after a bowl of pasta, which I had quite often before diagnosis. I read instructions that came w/the meter- above, well I dont remember exactly but much lower than 360, it said to contact dr immediately . I said why? I feel fine.

A1C 6.2 at this time.

Then reading books, articles, web - my world came crashing down.

Then by doing low carb high fat diet I was at 5.2(normal) in a month. This is what you will find most of folks on this forum are doing. And most doing fine!

Good luck, u will learn to live with it, control it, perhaps without drugs, as many of us.

Good bye pasta, bread, sweets etc. Welcome healthier life.

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He didn't run any other test right now. How he found it was from a normal blood test. I was feeling really bad for a couple of weeks. He put me on Janumet and one of those lovely test kits. Been going through the fridge and looking for things to give away, hate to throw good food away when someone needs it. Going out to get some books on diabetes. Need to see what changes I NEED to make. Oh well I guess I need some challenges in my life to keep me from being bored.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Nvoutback, be careful what books you buy or take out from library regarding Diabetes. Your best bet is to go to website bloodsugar101 and read Jenny's information. Much of what we are told by Endo's, dieticians, nutritionists is exact opposite of how a diabetic should eat. The books might point you in the same wrong direction. Trust me; I've been there done that! The people here on the diabetes forum are a wealth of golden information; information that actually will help your diabetes become more controlled and maintained. I've been doing it wrong for so many years following what I was told by the medical community. Unless they are a diabetic themselves, they have no clue how foods actually affect a diabetic, Type 1, Type 1.5, Type 2...
Also, you may want to look into Dr. Bernstein's book regarding diabetes. He himself is a Type 1 and has many great suggestions and explains how he has kept his diabetes in check.
Good Luck and Keep us Posted. Welcome to you to this community. Many wise and educated diabetics here for support.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts