The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my blood sugar has been getting of control again, and I'm trying to do some research on how to talk to my dr about it. I'm 21, and had gestational diabetes. There's no history whatsoever of diabetes. I tested after i ate dinner and 2 hrs later it was 151. Three hours after breakfast i was just barely under 140...but my fasting ranges from 70-85. I had to fight with my nurse to test me again OGTT because she assumed I didn't fit the profile, so I must be healed. (still failed but that was 2 years ago). I was never told i was prediabetic, I vaguely remember being called borderline... I was just told to watch what I eat and monitor my sugar. I'm so confused...but anywho that's some of my story. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi, welcome to DF! Sorry you're getting so little support from your doctor. Have you tried to get in for some testing recently?

Let us know a little more about the foods you're eating - reducing or eliminating starchy carbs like potatoes, rice, grains and pasta can go a long way toward minimizing blood sugar swings. Also, how often are you monitoring? More testing gives you great information about what foods to include or exclude.

All the best,
Jen

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! It's so weird...I ate a bagel and it didnt rise as bad, But two chicken strips and some fries soar high. I check when I feel sick, the clamy, thirsty, tired, feeling. Yesterday I had like 1/4-1/2 cup of rice and it was 130 after 2 hours. I don't know what to use to prove that i should get looked at. Because if they do a fasting it's going to be normal. I had an at home a1c and it was a 6.0 but I'm a lab tech too so I ran a1c on the machine and it was 5.5 a day later

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jchase, and thank you for joining us.

If you can, get into a routine of testing before you eat, then test twice after the meal - first at the 1-hour interval & again after two hours. This will show the pattern of your postprandial levels & if you chart them on a graph, perhaps even your nurse can recognize the picture of elevated blood glucose!

And do consider Jen's advice to reduce or eliminate starchy carbs like potatoes, rice, grains and pasta. This is what has worked really well for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely have to start that. Im just afraid that I'll be "good" and since I'm 5'4 and weigh 125 pounds that I "obviously" don't have anything wrong and be passed over. I had to beg them and they made it seem like the screen test after I gave birth (4 months later) was just to humor me. Until I was at 180 and her jaw dropped. All I could say was see!! Told you so

G

·
welcome Jchase :) I also agree that testing is the best thing to gain control of your BGLs. Try and get a HbA1c test done too as this will tell you and your doc your average BGLs over past 60 days. Have you had the C-peptide and GAD tests done? Here you get referred to an endocrinologist to make a diagnosis... our GPs (your PCD) do not make the diagnosis themselves as such. Our GPs provide our ongoing care though and will give us scripts for meds that have been recommended by our endo.
Have a look at your food intake more carefully. eg. your chicken & fries perhaps has more fat than the bagel and the fat slows down digestion.... plus you have fat on the fries which is pure carbs... hence the high BGLs. It's really all about portion control and you will only learn what works best for you by testing regularly. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I bought a home a1c from cvs and it gave me a six. Then the next day at work I had a phlebotomist draw my blood and I ran an a1c which was around 5.5. So I guess they correlate well only being .5 off of each other. I've never seen an endo so I was thinking after my new patient gp appointment I would go from there. I live in a small town, 2 grocery stores, a walmart as big as a grocery gas station and like 5 gas stations. So I'm not really sure what to expect out of a small town gp, But I have my meter with me now so I'm ready!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So my blood sugar has been getting of control again, and I'm trying to do some research on how to talk to my dr about it. I'm 21, and had gestational diabetes. There's no history whatsoever of diabetes. I tested after i ate dinner and 2 hrs later it was 151. Three hours after breakfast i was just barely under 140...but my fasting ranges from 70-85. I had to fight with my nurse to test me again OGTT because she assumed I didn't fit the profile, so I must be healed. (still failed but that was 2 years ago). I was never told i was prediabetic, I vaguely remember being called borderline... I was just told to watch what I eat and monitor my sugar. I'm so confused...but anywho that's some of my story. Thanks for reading!
Hello Jchase and welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information to be found on here, read what interests you. If you can't find a topic that you are looking for, do a search. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts