The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in the "Lounge" but realized I should have posted it here as an introduction.

First time joining this site and came across it truly by accident (but then, it might have been pre-disposed to happen). While being diagnoses maybe 5-6 years ago - and progressed to medication (Metformin, Gliceride, Crestor and Coversyl (heart), I've kept saying that this is only temporary and I can beat this. It can't be because of my weight (230) as I've always been heavy and while it's fluctuated only a bit, I note that when I did check blood sugars, it was creeping up.

I was (am) fatiqued easy, not having the energy, and seems like I'm having, on somedays, vision focus problems. So, I said, to myself, "Jim!" - that's cause I am Jim. "Jim, what are you doing? So many people rely upon you for so many things, who's going to take care of you if you get sick...nope, it's WHEN you'll get sick."

I guess I've been in denial for many years figuring that this can't be happening to me as I'm healthy and love life. Now while I don't have any family any more, I guess that didn't help my psyche. My sister died at Christmas last year from Type 1 Diabetes. She had that over 40 years and I saw the physical and emotional scars. "This CAN'T be happening to me".

So, I went to the doctor whom I've had since coming to Canada in 1973 (orig from Boston) and she yelled at me - well not really, but it sounds better than her saying "What are we going to do?".

Maybe reality finally set in? Hopefully? And I told her that I'd "try". This is when I found this site - and I think "trying" is going to be much easier.

I go back to see the nurse practionioner on Tuesday afternoon where I'll get all my test results (A1C, etc.) and will post them like you have done. I joined an all-male support group today (not for diabetes, but for lifestyle changes) and I think that will help too.

So, that's about it for now, I think - it gives you an overview of my toils and troubles - and I'm very thankful that I found this group. It makes me fell there's a shoulder out there that I don't have here.

What's funny (but not funny-haha) is that I'm a motivational speaker on Customer Service and human behaviour to help entrepreneurs and small business people change the way they deal with customers - and here I help them change, but I've been unable to change myself (and kept it hidden, thinking it'll go away).

I look forward to walking beside many of you as we take this journey and from what I have read on this site - I'm in great company.

JimmyJ

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Jimmy, we will wait just like you are doing, and see how the test results turn out. Good luck until then.

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts