The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on 10/14/11. I am 50, 6' 3" and overweight at 280 lbs. I have lost about 15 pounds so far, down to 265. I was having the common symptoms of thirst and excessive urination and went to my family Doctor. He ran an A1C test and it was 8.2. My blood glucose level was 231 when he tested it. He prescribed me Metformin, 500mg twice a day. I immediately changed my diet drastically and started testing on wake up and an hour after supper. He had me meet with a diabetes educator and she told me to eat 45 carbs a meal. I quickly discovered that is way too many.

I have been eating better, trying to limit carbs to 20 a meal, and I have been excercising the last month. My numbers have come way down from the first appointment. They are still not low enough and spiking high sometimes which is very frustrating. My wake up numbers are usually between 110-120. I started out testing one hour after dinner and read on one of the forums somewhere where two hours was better. I was running between 110 and 130 after supper. I read some articles about when to test and how to experiment to find peak spike time after meal. I went back to testing 1 hour after meal, whoa! Much higher numbers. I ate about 20 carbs at dinner and one hour later I was at a reading of 159! Not a happy camper. Tested again an hour later and they were 128. I guess the two hour number had me falsely believing my numbers were lower than they are.

I went to my 30 day follow up and discussed my dosage with the Dr. He wants to stay at the same dosage. I am a big guy (hopefully getting smaller) and have read that 500mg twice a day is not that big of a dose, in fact the Physicians desk reference says that significant clinical effects are not seen widely unless the dosage is 1500mg a day or more. It frustrated me that the Dr. kind of blew me off and kept me at same dosage. I adjusted to the Metformin fast, only had digestive issues for a few days. I have also lowered my caloric intake and my carbs significantly. Was totally sedintary before, riding stationary bike 30 mins a day six days a week now. I have the following questions=

1. Should my Dr. be adjusting my dose of Metformin after 30 days?
2. Does additional weight loss usually help much?
3. Have i been at it long enough to be this frustrated?

This is truly like standing on top of a big ball and trying to balance standing up. I don't know whether to feel good or bad about these numbers and whether my Dr. is being too conservative or not.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated!

Tim

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Tim. Most of us type 2's eat to our meter, that is the only way to determine how many carbs per meal you will be able to eat and still keep your bg down. If you try to get your bg below 120 and keep it there, you might be able to avoid diabetic complications, and definitely keep it below 140.

On a low carb/high fat diet, the bonus for me is that I lost weight without even trying.

We all get frustrated at times and you're welcome to vent your frustration here. Blood Sugar 101 is a great, informative website for diabetics.

You are doing a good job on bringing your bg down, and congratulations on the weight loss. Keep up the good work. Glad to meet you and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the Forum.
I must say, Great Job so far on loosing the weight and reducing your numbers. I think it's a good thing that the doctor feels you can manage with metformin only. It's true that the amount you are having is nearly the lowest dosage possible.
As you continue to loose the weight and watch your carbs you should see a further improvement.

As for your questions
Seeing you improvement I think he is confident you'll drop further till your next appointment. Your post meals numbers are fairly good. Fasting will improve as you continue on the low carb diet and conitnue to loose the excess weight

Ofcourse, it will drastically reduce your insulin resistance, which means your body will make more efficient use of the available insulin, resulting in lower numbers

Loosing weight will help reduce the stress your body organs (kidneys, liver, heart) are currently in

It will get better with time. I am still frustrated time to time. But I think we'll live ! :D

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine.

1. No
2. Yes
3. No

get that carb total down to as close to zero as you can

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Tim! Welcome aboard. You're doing a good job & you'll be seeing better results the longer you hang in there. Losing 15# in one month is a good sign you're onto something good! ;) Just be sure you're getting enough fats included in your way-of-eating so that you don't get hungry going low-carb.

Since it can take 30 days for metformin to get ramped up to full strength in your bloodstream, you doc is prob'ly just waiting a little longer to see how things shake out, since you've come so far already in such a short time. Additional weight loss will reduce your insulin resistance, which is one of the things metformin does also, so it'll be good to make changes slowly & let your body adjust gradually.

As for the frustration . . . uuumm . . . that may come with the package. :rolleyes: Diabetes can be the most irritating, aggravating, frustrating blankety blank blank . . . we can cruise along smoothly with good stable numbers & no snags, when all of a sudden our fastings go bonkers or some other goofy thing pops up . . . for no logical reason. So if your meter returns a weird number, just go wash hands & retest once - you may get a more reasonable number. But sometimes you don't . . . sometimes there's just no telling.

We're sure glad to have you on board . . . take care & visit us often! :cool:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Tim!

I've been diabetic for quite a number of years. I find it's always a 'work in progress'. My meds always need tweaking now and again.

At the very beginning, when I was prescribed Metformin, I threw up for the first two weeks. The joy! There is always more tweaking at the beginning, when first diagnosed. Your best bet is to test and to keep a food journal.

Additional weight loss will certainly help! I've lost a lot of weight a while ago but I find it's only lately that is has made a difference.

I've been low carbing for a while now and I am doing very well these days. You can find lots of precious infos on low carbing in this forum.

Diabetes is a stupid disease. I hate it with a passion. I could write a book on frustration :D But this wonderful place is the best to vent your frustrations. I find testing and venting go hand in hand.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated!
Although I'm 48, I'm still waiting for the wisdom to kick in :bounce:

Take good care!

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
206 Posts
Diabetes can be the most irritating, aggravating, frustrating blankety blank blank . . . we can cruise along smoothly with good stable numbers & no snags, when all of a sudden our fastings go bonkers or some other goofy thing pops up . . . for no logical reason.
So true! I totally love what you wrote. This is what diabetes is!!!

It's true sometimes there is no reason for the weird numbers other than diabetes showing its ugly mug...!!!! I just hate diabetes. I wish I could kick it really good where the sun doesn't shine :eek:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Banned
33 Posts
good work

Hello and welcome to the forum:)
Welcome Tim, your doing fine,keep losing weight and keep those carbs low and keep your bs around 120 or so and you'll be ok.Its a ***** starting out but use your meter often,it will keep you out of trouble.One of my little things I do is to reduce all sugar intake ,I read every lable and eat very little sugar.You got your head on straight and sounds like you can do what it takes. Good luck,stay in touch,Cramer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts