1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I was diagnosed as boarderline then type 2 in June 2011

I am up in the crunchy mountain of Taos, NM

A bit more about me:
A1c was 6.8 6/20/11, continued working out at the gym and tweaked my diet was retested and
A1c was 6.1 8/22/11 :D
No Meds yet over the last year I lost 18 lbs and in that 2 months from June to august I lost another 12, probably because I changed my diet I am now a petite size 6

I must be honest I'm still kinda nervous and trying to make sure I am doing the best I can for my body and health this has been overwhelming as i met a man that was type 2 and had lost a leg:( My husband had to remind me that his wife said he was not taking care of himself but still it scared me and sometimes I'm scared

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patdart said:
Welcome to both of you! Sorry you have D. but glad to meet both of you. Find a seat and tell us more about yourselves. We have big ears, by the way!
Update more about me :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome Hippiechic . . . you're doing very well, bringing your A1c down and losing weight. Nice going! These are the things that help you fend OFF complications such amputation. None of us get any guarantees, of course, but you'll find many of us working to keep our numbers at a level commensurate with those of non-diabetic persons, and the closer we are to "normal", the better our chances of avoiding serious complications. The stress of being scared is something that can elevate blood sugar too, so if you can let go of the fear, it'll be another brick in the wall against complications. You've got a good start, you know it's working, so stay the course - you'll be fine! :hug:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You are definitely on the right track. Relax and take a deep breath. Diabetes can be managed with Low carb diet, exercise, mediations and sometimes insulin. Check out Blood Sugar 101 it will help you with a lot of your questions. Again welcome.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Welcome!

Since you are petite I will give you my usual LADA spiel. LADA stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood.

Not all slender T2's have it, but some do. It might be worth ruling out because a) it is frustrating to bark up the wrong tree and b) you might preserve more beta cells by earlier use of insulin. c) psychologically it is better to know what to expect -- if your control deteriorates due to autoimmune activity, it is not due to some shortcoming of diet or exercise.

So, you may want to ask your doctor for some additional tests: C-peptide, which indicates insulin production, and GAD-65 antibodies, which are the predominant antibodies in LADA.

Of course, you may be classic T2 and slender. OR, you may have some variant that is antibody-negative. But if there is something you can do about it, it might be worth getting the testing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome!

Since you are petite I will give you my usual LADA spiel. LADA stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood.
YES! I had been reading about this LADA, I read about it because I have vitiligo, and hypothyroidism. I have an appointment with the endocrinologist and the goal for me and my internist was to find out why and what was going on if we could find out :) My appt is OCT 7th so i will definitely update about this, thanks :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YES! I had been reading about this LADA, I read about it because I have vitiligo, and hypothyroidism. I have an appointment with the endocrinologist and the goal for me and my internist was to find out why and what was going on if we could find out :) My appt is OCT 7th so i will definitely update about this, thanks :)
So I went to the Endo and she was great, I am getting the Cpep test and the gad antibody as well as she is testing my thyroid for (antibodies) to see if I have hoshimotos. She said I was keeping excellent control of my BS and she was very pleased :D My blood pressure was great, down where it used to be 110/62 had a bit of a scare several mths back it seemed like my BP was inching up, but all is good now.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

OK went to Docs Nov 9th Lowered my A1C again to 5.2!!!!!
I can't believe it! I asked them twice are they sure?!?!?! LOL!
Have not gotten the test back for my gad or antibody test back yet will let ya know....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is fabulous, HC - you really have got a hold on this! :D I hope you've stopped worrying about complications . . . I think you're not just about to lose control. ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So far the tips you've shared are erroneous and misleading. You need to tell us more about YOURSELF and how YOU manage YOUR diabetes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Endo called today my antibody test was negative! so my type 2 is not autoimmune, I did not ask more like if that could change later but I was glad about the result. She did say my thyroid is off and she changed my dose an east fix, overall good news :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Endo called today my antibody test was negative! so my type 2 is not autoimmune, I did not ask more like if that could change later but I was glad about the result. She did say my thyroid is off and she changed my dose an east fix, overall good news :)
That IS good news, HC, and it won't change later. Even if you ever do need insulin, you'll still be type 2 - you'll just be an insulin-dependent type 2. Lots of those walking around too! So rejoice! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Shanny back in may I was so upset and didn't know what or how to handle having type 2 but, I had to educate myself and get info from great people like you! I'm am great-full for that, I just feel I have to do my very best to keep a handle on my BS and my life so I can be around a long time TY!

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 16 of 16 Posts