The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... recently diagnosed type 1 at 44. No family history...latent autoimmune disorder ....scared angry but trying to adjust... A1c is 15.9.. numbers range from 42 to 595... on 1,000 metformin...lantus10 units nightly and bolus at meals if needed...question... my lower back hurts. On left side...should pancreas hurt?? I know what kidney pain is....little worse than that...going to get GCM in January ...any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Caltex . . . can't help with your lower back pain; I haven't heard of pancreas pain, but that doesn't mean it isn't real.

Hope you'll stick around & ask any other questions you may have - and thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I didn't know anything about the pancreas, so I looked it up. Here is a link. It says acute pancreatitis usually begins with gradual or sudden pain in the upper abdomen and that other symptoms may include a swollen and tender abdomen, nausea and vomiting, fever and a rapid pulse.

I guess there are different degrees of kidney pain. I had a kidney infection many years ago and it hurt like the devil. If it is bad enough, a trip to the emergency room might be in order, or a call to your doctor.

Sorry you aren't feeling so well, but I'm glad you found us.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I can't help with the pain but make sure you check in with your doctor. High bgs can cause all sorts of complications. I know you are scared especially with the lows like 42. But as you learn how to manage your bgs eventually you should be able to get more stable bgs. The CMGS should really help with that. Have they discussed diet with you and how you can manage bg numbers with lowering carbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am on a special diet...my bsgr numbers are no rhyme or reason...also..hair loss? Thanks for the input. I am so glad I found this forum..

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You say you bolus before meals, if needed. i don't understand that. I bolus before all meals ans snacks. If I don't do that I have very high blood sugar later, and it can take several hours to bring it down with a correction bolus, You can have much mre stable control if you use carb counting to determine your dosages before eating something. I need 1 unit of insulin for every 8 carbs I eat. That is called a 1:8 ratio. In the morning I need a 1:5 ratio, and 1:10 in the evening. Your ratio might be very different from mine, you can use trial and error to find your ratio(s). Your correct insulin sensitivity level is needed to do correction boluses when you have high blood sugar. I need 1 unit to lower my BG 20 points. Yours may be very different. That can vary throughout the day. The book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh is very helpful with all this. John also wrote the book "Pumping Insulin" if you ever use an insulin pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doctor said bolus when 200 or higher before meals...I have only been doing this for 7 days...others have told me about bolus at every meal. It is hard learning all of the Carb ratois ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts