The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. Was dx'd T2 in 2008 with a fasting blood sugar of 387. 20 years prior to that I was dx'd with gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy, but no issues in between. Spent 9 years on more and more meds, and was always encouraged to "eat everything in moderation." Not great advice. Put on more and more weight, prescribed more and meds. And because diabetes is progressive, was finally told I needed to go on insulin, with an A1C of 10.7. That's when I started doing research and discovered keto. I jumped in with both feet on June 26, 2017. It's now 4 years later and I'm down 90 lbs, off all meds, A1C is 4.7, no more high blood pressure, no more high cholesterol, no more ibs/ diverticulitis. I've never felt healthierand I know I've added years to my life. I eat only real, whole foods, nothing processed, no sugars, starches, grains. Eat mostly carnivore, and occasionally eat leafy greens. Energy is through the roof. I sleep like a baby now. No more hot flashes or night swears. I literally feel like a new person and would encourage every diabetic to eat this way. Changed my life. Glad to be here!

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Glad to have you here, 1r1shayes!

I don't know that we've had a lot of people here who've eaten primarily carnivore. It certainly seems to be working for you. What does a typical day of meals look like for you? Do you find you avoid eating out or how do you manage that? Have your health care providers pushed back hard on your choice of treatment?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Typical day for me is I skip breakfast because I'm not hungry. For lunch I normally have deviled eggs and bacon spread with some herbed cream cheese and sprinkled with everything but the bagel seasoning.. Dinner Is is a protein, sometimes with a cheese or cream base sauce. I always make a veggie or side salad for my husband but most of the time I just eat the meat and I'm perfectly satisfied . It's very simple to eat out carnivore. You just eat the meat . But I don't normally do Italian or Mexican restaurants as those are more difficult to find a food to eat. Oh yes the doctor issue. My endocrinologist would not work with me anymore and I had to find a new doctor. I finally ended up with a keto and carnivore friendly doctor At a concierge medical group where I have to pay a fee every month. But it's worth it because I love her and she understands this way of eating and sees how I have improved my health

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Dinner Is is a protein camera
?? Darn autocorrect?
It's very simple to eat out carnivore. You just eat the meat . But I don't normally do Italian or Mexican restaurants as those are more difficult to find a food to eat.
I've learned to order my barbecue "dry" -- sauce on the side or none at all because most barbecue sauces have so much sugar in them. And less-expensive Asian restaurants often are a challenge because what isn't deep-fried has to be separated from a gloopy cornstarch-laden gravy. But it does make selecting menu entrees easier -- there usually are only a couple that are suitable. 🙂

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
?? Darn autocorrect?

I've learned to order my barbecue "dry" -- sauce on the side or none at all because most barbecue sauces have so much sugar in them. And less-expensive Asian restaurants often are a challenge because what isn't deep-fried has to be separated from a gloopy cornstarch-laden gravy. But it does make selecting menu entrees easier -- there usually are only a couple that are suitable. 🙂

Thanks!
Haha, protein camera? I honestly don't even know what I was trying to say. Voice-to-text is less than perfect. LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
Hi 1r1shayes, welcome to the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts