The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Lyle. I have been diabetic for 19 hrs. I am exploring the possibility of adding an insulin pump to my life. I am interested in feedback. I am looking at the OmniPod.

G

·
welcome Lyle :) I'm not able to give advice on that one as I'm not on a pump, I just do the injections. I've heard that people think they're great for managing BGLs. But I've also heard from people that the actual setting up of it and managing it can be a bit tricky... something about a big needle inserted every few days, etc. That bit doesn't appeal to me... having a needle inserted fulltime. But I know there are people on this forum who do pump and no doubt can give you really good advice on this.
Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The first thing to consider when choosing a pump is to total daily insulin requirements. That would be all your bouls units plus all your basal units. Then pick the pump that will meet those needs. The only pump with a reservoir big enough to support my needs was Minimeds.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When you called yourself Newbie II I thought you were a type 2 diabetic. Many type 2 diabetics do use insulin, and some use insulin pumps too. Are yu a type 1, or a type 2 diabetic? In either case, an insulin pump can give you very good control, if it is used properly. I suggest that you buy the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. It is an excellent book.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy. I use the Minimed insulin pump and it has helped me very much.

Here is a discussion that you might find useful:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/insulin-pumps/552-intoduction-pumps.html

There are several members here who use pumps, so ask all the questions you want.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts