The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself nibbling on almonds between meals when I get a need to eat, how many a day would be too many, considering I watch my breakie, lunch and supper meal closely.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I eat a lot of nuts and cheese too. I think as long as you are in your weight range and not gaining, eating nuts are great. If you need to lose weight you might want to find other low carb options.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So far I haven't found a limit on almonds, and I eat 'em like they're goin' outta style. Not only the raw nuts, but almond flour, almond milk & almond butter too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I love nuts of any kind, and I find I'm grabbing a small handful at least 6-8 times/day...maybe too much I guess.

Deb:canada:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Likewise, I've found that almonds in particular don't seem to do me any harm even when I get carried away with those delicious "Smokehouse" ones!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Shanny

Shanny:

Where in the USA did you get any raw almonds? i have never found any almonds that are raw. Have you even found any packages of almonds that state that they are raw? I heard on the internet (not the most reliable source I would admit), that the FDA declared raw almonds illegal because some types of raw almonds might be a more effective cancer treatment than radiation and chemo, thus cutting Big Pharma out of the billions of dollars they collect by selling their bogus cancer treatments.

ColaJim

So far I haven't found a limit on almonds, and I eat 'em like they're goin' outta style. Not only the raw nuts, but almond flour, almond milk & almond butter too.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'll check the package next time I get them, but they're in the produce department at Walmart—shelled & packaged in flat trays & wrapped in the usual plastic wrap like all the deli meats & things are. I'm pretty sure they're raw. I even found the nutritional values for 'em . . . Calories in Walmart Whole Raw Almonds - Calories and Nutrition Facts And of course if you buy 'em in the shell they're raw . . .

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have to say I like almonds too much. I like to nuke them and get that toasted almond flavor. Likely not as healthy as eating the raw but love the taste :) I am pretty sure all the almonds are raw unless they say roasted toasted or blanched. I could be wrong because they could do some level of heat treatment to dry them out even in the shell. Go item to research

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
My co-worker just sent me this. No link to actual studies and a little sensational, but since I always have almonds at my desk, an enjoyable read!

India Times: Almonds and Diabetes

·
Registered
21 Posts
I heard on the internet (not the most reliable source I would admit), that the FDA declared raw almonds illegal because some types of raw almonds might be a more effective cancer treatment than radiation and chemo, thus cutting Big Pharma out of the billions of dollars they collect by selling their bogus cancer treatments.
Sorry if this is off-thread but I had to comment on this. I've seen the FDA remove approval of marketed products because of an extremely low chance that a tiny sub-population of patients might be at risk for adverse side effects of a drug, costing the company many millions of dollars. They don't take public safety and well being lightly and they certainly are no pawns of the drug companies. The internet is a pretty good place for unfounded rumors, not so much for reliable info. Ok, off my soapbox now...

(Full disclosure: my company makes (non-bogus) cancer treatments)

On topic: I love almonds in all forms as well, especially almond milk!

PS: not an attack on you, ColaJim, just putting my 2 cents in.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I find myself nibbling on almonds between meals when I get a need to eat, how many a day would be too many, considering I watch my breakie, lunch and supper meal closely.
I just read the nutrition label on a package of almonds. It says 11 almonds have 5 total carbs and 2 fiber. I limit myself to 30 per day. Why? 'Cause otherwise I'd do nothing all day but sit and eat almonds.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
They don't take public safety and well being lightly and they certainly are no pawns of the drug companies.
Hi Boo. Looks to me like you haven't done much reading at www.bloodsugar102.com I hope you'll take a look.

Not only the raw nuts, but almond flour, almond milk & almond butter too.
I haven't bought the raw almonds because I don't know if it is OK to eat them raw or do you cook with them? If you eat them raw, do they taste the same as roasted?

Jim, I saw raw almonds at my local Walmart yesterday.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I carry around a tiny container in my bag with raw cashews...bestest snack :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I had almond butter last night and noticed that the label stresses that it's from almond butter and I do know those I buy at Wal-Mart in the produce section are raw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hear a lot about using almond flour and butter but where can you get that sort of thing. I don't remember seeing it in the grocery. Thanks

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Almond flour is ground almonds which you can get in any supermarket baking section. Failing that you can use a food processor and grind your own. Keep going long enough and it turns into butter!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Almond flour is ground almonds which you can get in any supermarket baking section. Failing that you can use a food processor and grind your own. Keep going long enough and it turns into butter!

Thanks, makes since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts