The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....I have a question...and any suggestions would be great. Am I going to have to measure everything I eat from now on?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I don't measure anything, I eat till I am full. The only difference being I only eat things that do not effect my BG level dramatically

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi....I have a question...and any suggestions would be great. Am I going to have to measure everything I eat from now on?
If you get to where you can eyeball it accurately, you can prob'ly ease off the weighing & measuring, but still check yourself occasionally to make sure your eyeball hasn't drifted off target. But for now, yes, it's good to weigh & measure everything.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Why don't you tell us a little more about your diabetes and what meds you are on. If you are on insulin then you will have to count the carbs in your meals so you know how much insulin it will take to cover the carbs eaten. If you are a Type 2 on oral meds, limiting your carbs will make your bgs lower. Most of us test before and 2 hours after meals so we know what effect the carbs we just ate have on our bg. Ideally you want to be 120-140 or lower to stay healthy. I never count calories only carbs. I keep most meals around 10 carbs and eat a small portion of meat and usually a double portion of veggies. I eat unlimited nuts, seeds and cheese most days. If you need to lose weight you may have to limit the nuts and cheese. Having diabetes is learning how your diabetic body reacts to food. This is why we all can eat different amounts and have different bgs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It depends on what you're eating and what your goals are. Me, I'm trying to keep as many carbs in my diet as possible, so yes, I measure, count, keep track, whatever you want to call it. I need to know that I can eat this much of this thing -- let's say a 6-ounce serving of my favorite yogurt -- only when I've eaten very low carb the rest of the day and my bg is down before the first bite. I can't eat two servings. This is true for all carb-containing foods.

None of this is particularly hard. Since I'm also restricting calories, I measure, count, keep track of everything I eat anyway (and write it all down in a food log).

If you're not trying to lose weight, you shouldn't have to measure, count, keep track of everything, just those things that raise bg.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
yes for the first few months until you train yourself as to what a real portion is

Reactions: WV Mom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts