The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone;

I've been lurking since being diagnosed as type 2 on 1/2/09.
So I think it's about time I register and introduce myself.

During the Holidays of 2008 I started getting extremely thirsty. On 1/2/09 I woke up and had blurry vision. So I walked into the local family clinic. Upon hearing my symptoms they immediately attempted to check my BG. But it was too high for their meter to read. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital. At the hospital they tested by blood. It was determined that my BG was above 800 and my A1c was 11.2.
They kept me in the hospital for 4 days; the first 2-1/2 of which were in ICU.

Since leaving the hospital I've managed to reduce both my BG and weight by a fair amount.
1/02/09 A1c=11.2, weight=295
1/26/09 A1c=9.2
2/15/09 weight=260
3/20/09 A1c=6.1, weight=248
5/30/09 weight=228

Just another 8 lbs and my weight will be back to where it was 10 years ago before I started working in the IT field.
My doctors, dietitian, and diabetes educators are impressed by my numbers.
But are they truly impressed or just saying that to motivate me ? :confused:
I keep telling them it's easy to eat properly and exercise when you're not working.
I've been unemployed ever since being diagnosed as diabetic. :(

Since I'm new to diabetes; I'll probably be asking a lot of questions.
Hopefully as time goes by I'll be asking less questions and contributing more answers. :)

--et

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello ET, welcome to our community! Your weight has been reduced by 67 lb. and your A1c has dropped from 11.2 to 6.1 in five months time. That is truly amazing! You are doing a wonderful job. If you can stick with it and maintain your control then you will have a much better chance of living a long, healthy life without diabetes complications. I have been Type 1 for 63 years and I am very healthy. Good control makes all the difference!! Keep up the good work and welcome aboard.

Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes, they are truly impressed with your lower A1c and weight-loss. Why do you question that?

Just because a Person is not working, doesn't mean that they have motivation to eat properly and to exercise. In many cases, it can be depressing to be over-weight, out of a job and dxd. with Diabetes. You've done Really Well. :high5: Keep up the Good work. Best Wishes finding a new job.

Ask as many questions as you like. Hopefully we can answer them all for you. In turn then, you can educate other People about Diabetes. Too many, don't have a clue. November 14th is Diabetes Day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts