The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ... I've been reading along and finally decided to join. I'm 43 and was diagnosed type 1 approx 5 years ago. Only family history of diabetes is a cousin on mothers side of family. I have been a pumper for last 2 years (one touch/ping). My latest A1c was 7.8 and I fear this next test will not be that good. I have appt with new endo in 3 weeks (changed due to insurance coverage) ... I am a little nervous switching doctors, but am VERY excited to learn and share with everyone here :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
I used to get nervous about going to see the DR. Any doctor made me nervous but then I realized something, I pay the bill so they work for me. Just relax and be your self and if they don't like hat you have been doing then don't pay them.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Miggitz. We are glad you decided to join us. This is a great place to pick up some very useful information. The recipes are pretty darn good, too, and we have lots of friendly and helpful folks who hang out here. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was the first in my family to get diabetes, too. Sometimes it seems like it is not fair but that is life. Are you a type 1 or type 2? I wouldn't worry about the new doctor, use it as an excuse to get control over your diabetes.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome Miggitz! You will get a lot of support and very good information here. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. After 66 years of type 1 I am very healthy. If you take good care of yourself you can have a long, healthy life.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Miggitz. One trick I learned years ago when trying out a new doc, is to make it an interview of HIM (or her) for the position as my caregiver. I even told one that many years ago - I had a falling-out with one doc & when I'd picked out a new one, I explained the issues & told him exactly what I expected of him. It worked & we had a good long doc/patient relationship.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hi Miggitz, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you decided to join since everyone here is filled with so much useful and interesting information. You will definitely learn alot about yourself and your diabetes.
Diabetes can be very scary when first diagnosed, but you must just get control of it and things will be great. I'm still trying to control mine, but I've started a new regime within the last two weeks and I'm still working out all the little bugs. I am fortunate to have found a great group of docs that actually listen to me, work with me, and have my best interest at heart. I've been through too many other docs (mostly endo's) who are so arrogant (which I hate) and just through things at you with no questions or answers. I now see a Endo who deals with nothing other than diabetes in adults (she is actually called a Diabetologist), a Cardiologist (I have nothing wrong with my heart, but because I'm at such high risk I go to a Cardiovascular Disease Clinic), and really great nurses and support people who have been extremely detrimental in helping to find a solution to this thing called diabetes. I live in the Cleveland area, so I have the Main Cleveland Clinic Foundation where all of my doctors are. I hate having to go downtown to see them, but it is well worth it. Just a hassle with traffic and driving. I do not work in an area that is convenient to getting to downtown Cleveland, so I try to schedule appointments before or after work.
Stick around here, listen, read, and learn alot. Go to suggested websites as they also contain a huge amount of educational and informative material. The best defense you can have is educating yourself because doctors do not have all the answers. I like to remind myself that all doctors are "practicing" medicine; they are not all experts. Hopefully we can help to educate them a little more on reality and what actually happens and helps a diabetic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts