The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: Everyone,
I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with diabetes just over a year ago. I finally was able to see an Endo during the last couple weeks. Only took 8 months to get an appointment… She thinks I am 1.5 diabetic and now has started me on insulin. The situation is pretty stressful, I didn’t think that things progressed so quickly where I have to take insulin. I am just hoping that I start feeling better soon. I am hoping to use this forum for support and educational purposes.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hello, my fellow T1.5-er!

THIS is exactly why I insisted on antibody testing, as soon after dx as possible (which turned out to be 5 months :-( ). I just knew if I assumed T2 and was incorrect, the deterioration despite all-out efforts would end with my being ticked off, and giving up altogether! And that would be very bad for me and for my family.

I too have begun insulin -- 15 mos after dx in DKA, I went on basal, and almost exactly 2 years post diagnosis, began using small doses of rapid. If I had not been eating low carb, I am sure this schedule would have accelerated greatly.

As it is, starting insulin early in the game is helping me -- I can learn to use it more gradually, thus more safely, and figure things out before it gets more challenging and less predictable.

-- what are you eating, and what is your total daily dose of insulin?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today is my first day on Insulin; the doctor prescribed me both Rapid, and long lasting Lantus. For the rapid, I am taking small dose 1:20 grams of Carbs + fix. So far after taking my first dose it seems to work well.
Previously I think I was starving myself, lost too much weight. I would probably on intake 30-40 carbs per meal but still my sugars would go crazy. Oral drugs didn’t seem to help, only exercise made a difference. I too am hoping insulin will allow me to live a more flexible lifestyle.
How long after did you notice a difference? Did you gain weight on the insulin?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am eating 30 - 40 g per DAY of carbs! And instead eat more FAT.

You should notice insulin almost immediately. Takes about 3 days to settle into a dose ...

And no, not gaining, yet, but on higher carbs I am sure I would.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome! You will adjust to insulin and have good control. I have used insulin for 65 years, and I am very healthy.

I gained weight when I started using modern day insulins. I had to reduce my carb intake to 130 carbs per day and increase my exercise. I have lost most of the weight I had gained. If you gain too much weight, you can become insulin resistant, like a type 2 diabetic. Try to keep your weight under control.

Richard

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Today is my first day on Insulin; the doctor prescribed me both Rapid, and long lasting Lantus. For the rapid, I am taking small dose 1:20 grams of Carbs + fix. So far after taking my first dose it seems to work well.
Previously I think I was starving myself, lost too much weight. I would probably on intake 30-40 carbs per meal but still my sugars would go crazy. Oral drugs didn’t seem to help, only exercise made a difference. I too am hoping insulin will allow me to live a more flexible lifestyle.
How long after did you notice a difference? Did you gain weight on the insulin?
Hello and welcome molorya! I think you will really enjoy insulin. I saw a difference almost immediately. But it can take several days for your body to adjust. I gained weight on insulin. I think that you just need to watch how many carbs that you eat and just eat them in moderation. We are all different and you need to see what works for you. Don't starve yourself. If you don't have any cholesterol issues, then dig into the meat, cheeses, eggs and fats, they don't raise your blood sugar. My doctor told me that I could have a more flexible lifestyle on insulin and I do. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you come back often. We are glad you are here.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Is it improtant to know the difference? Well, if you are treating insulin resistance with oral meds, it works.

If you have minimal IR and are taking drugs, and enduring side effects that are unpleasant or risky, it is not so good.

Insulin might help preserve a T1 or T1.5 preserve existing beta cells, which is helpful for preventing some of the side effects of late diabetes.

G

·
welcome :) glad you've joined us. Look forward to hearing your experiences.
I was diagnosed as type 2 - although a year ago I've been told I no longer produce enough insulin and need to be on insulin full time. My endo still classes me as "type 2". I'm not 100% sure if that's correct, or I'm technically type 1.5? Well I suppose if I need insulin I need it... so probably doesn't really matter what type I am. At least on insulin I notice a difference as opposed to oral meds that did nothing at all for my BGLs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My guess is you are still type 2, Mep . . . an insulin-dependent type 2. The only way you could be anything else is if the original diagnosis was wrong, but we don't change from one type to another based on the method of treatment.

G

·
thanks Shanny :D despite reading about it I'm still not sure I understand the difference between the two anyhow. I have damaged beta cells, apparently that's the same for 1.5 also. I also read that there a type 2's who are misdiagnosed. I don't think there was a type 1.5 when I got diagnosed anyhow... they only mentioned I could be one of two types. I guess we both get treated the same - have to have insulin. I read somewhere that for 1.5's it's 4-12 years before they need insulin, but in 2's it's 12 years on average. Maybe the difference is with how our beta cells are damaged perhaps? I think I mentioned somewhere else before that even some medical staff think you're type 1 if you're on insulin... you have to explain it to them.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
As far as I can tell, the difference is this?

The primary cause of LADA is damaged beta cells ... damage done by the immune system.

In Type 2 the subsequent beta-cell damage is caused by years of exposure to high levels of glucose, theoretically due to insulin resistance.

Exogenous insulin will thus behave differently in LADA, vs. early Type 2. Theoretically.

But, more recently I am not seeing arguments against LADA as immune-system based, and increasingly there are studies indicating it is a genetic vulnerability.

Some researchers claim that up to 30% of Type 2's will be found to have antibodies. So ... I see arguments for both "sides" -- that a Type 2 can develop antibodies in response to a pancreatic insult (due to, say, exposure to high glucose levels?), or that LADA is, absolutely and finally, an immune-system based disease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts