The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in my mid 20's and was diagnosed with type1 nearly 10 years ago and for the first couple of years my control was v good, however over the last 3 years it has steadly disimproved with my weight creeping up. (hba1c of 9)

With a gap year travelling planned in 2012, I really want to get my bloods under contol! I feel like I 'forgot' I am a diabetic over last couple of years....and now scared of the implications of this!

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I have read a few of the discussions and found them v supportive and informative.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey apf2, im 21 and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 1. We have to be healthy and have low bg or its certain we will have serious health problems. Keep ur head up and lower that A1C

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well get ready to be told about how you should eat. I have been a type 1 diabetic for almost 40 years now. We all know that what we eat is the last thing we need to hear because everything we eat has to be accounted for not just some of it. With type 1 there is no such thing as free foods. Now let me welcome you to the forum and just say that you have not done anything that the rest of us have not done. You already know what you need to do. But I will say that what you have discribed sounds like your thyroid is or has crapped out. Not at all abnormal. Just ask your Dr. to check it and I am sure he will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, I don't know any other diabetics personally so its great to hear ppls stories and advice.

I really liked the sayin 'with type 1 there are no free foods' ....and it is making me look at my food in a different way. I'm due to go back to hospital in 6 weeks so I will ask about my tyroid, in the meantime I will concentrate on my food intake and checking my blood levels and hopefully it will pay off.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts