The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie dx'd 1/7/2011, I've spent a lot of time reading and learning but haven't posted much. BG at dx was 283 and H1C was 11.9. I am on 1000mg Met ER, and have been low carb since the first day. My numbers have been coming down, but I seem to be having issues with Dawn Phenomenon. Wake up numbers for Feb are between 115 and 145, with most being in the 120's and 130's. Later in the day I have had some below 100, and the post prandial numbers seem to be a reasonable increase from preprandial.

I've tried eating before bed to help the DP, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions to get my wake up numbers down? Are these results typical?

thanks,

Bernard

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Since you are Type 2 I will let the Type 2s on this forum help you with this issue but I wanted to say welcome. I hope you find a great place to visit and post and I hope you come back often.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Bernard, firstly, welcome to the Forum!

What are you eating before bed?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your numbers look a lot like mine, Bernard, and I haven't found a reliable solution yet. I continue to comfort myself that the fasting is usually my highest reading of the day. It's just really aggravating to have it throwing off my average day after day! :mad:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've tried eating before bed to help the DP, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions to get my wake up numbers down? Are these results typical?

thanks,

Bernard
Bernard, firstly, welcome to the Forum!

What are you eating before bed?
I am going to ask the same as Eric. You can try one of two things. Try something different before you go to bed or back your normal dinner up if you can. Eat dinner like two hours before you go to bed instead of 4 hours as an example.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a newbie dx'd 1/7/2011, I've spent a lot of time reading and learning but haven't posted much. BG at dx was 283 and H1C was 11.9. I am on 1000mg Met ER, and have been low carb since the first day. My numbers have been coming down, but I seem to be having issues with Dawn Phenomenon. Wake up numbers for Feb are between 115 and 145, with most being in the 120's and 130's. Later in the day I have had some below 100, and the post prandial numbers seem to be a reasonable increase from preprandial.

thanks,

Bernard
Welcome Bernard

Well, as a newbie too, I cannot tell you so much about, but I have read DP can be caused by hormones or what you ate before bed.

If you are eating carbs at bedtime, it can affect your fasting numbers. On the other hand the reason can be your body rebounding from low BG levels at night.

Try to check your blood glucose level in the middle of the night (around 3 AM). If your blood sugar is high, you are probably experiencing the dawn phenomenon; if it is low, rebound hypo is probably at work.

BTW, I dont really know if its true, but just an hypothesis. I think you should check and discuss with your endo.

Fabio.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It took me 3 1/2 years to figure out this DP thing. First I had to increase my metformin to the maximum - 2550. Then I experimented with the timing of my meds. I take it 3 times a day with one of the doses right before bed, one when I wake up and one around 10:30 am. That took me awhile to figure out. I never take any dose with meals. I also found adding fat to my diet really seemed to help. I tried the late night snack, that didn't work for me, either. We eat kind of late, so I try not to eat much past 8 pm. That gives me the best numbers. This past summer I had problems with sleeping so I started to take melatonin at night- 3 mg with theanine in it. My morning bgs got a lot lower. Maybe it is because I am more relaxed and not getting those nasty liver dumps. The last thing I did is switch to a fairly organic diet. I try to avoid all packaged food or anything with chemicals. I use free range eggs and meats without nitrates and hormones. Since I have made those changes my bgs now are in the 77-92 range most mornings. On the rare occasion I am above 100, I find I start getting liver dumps again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just wanted to say welcome as well! I was diagnosed 3.5 months ago. The beginning is really tough and i'll be honest, month 3 seems a bit harder than month 1. Maybe its the learning curve but I know it will plateau. The people in this forum are amazing and we are lucky to have them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts