The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum. I was recently diagnosis with diabetes 2 and put on metaformin release pill 500 mg. two at supper. I am experiencing very bad smell when I urinate. Has anybody else had this problem. Also, I know they say to count your carbs and proteins, etc. Are there any charts online to give me this info? thank you!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
ashleynabbee07 said:
Hi I am new to this forum. I was recently diagnosis with diabetes 2 and put on metaformin release pill 500 mg. two at supper. I am experiencing very bad smell when I urinate. Has anybody else had this problem. Also, I know they say to count your carbs and proteins, etc. Are there any charts online to give me this info? thank you!
Welcome and hello!

I'll help where I can. As for online carb info, I stick with apps for the phone. I always have it with me and its smaller ;). I mainly use calorieking unless I'm eating in a restaurant then I'll try and find an online menu that has the info.

Head over to bloodsugar101.com and read up on this condition. There's lots of good info, very well researched and documented, and the author is diabetic herself. I'm sure you'll have more questions after browsing there for a bit but don't be afraid to ask anything you need.

As for the odor, it could be symptom of several things, or reflective of your diet,so I can't offer much help there other than to talk to your doc about it.

Now for our questions, quid pro quo. ;)
What, outside of the metformin, are you doing to get control? How were you DX? How high are your numbers? What type of diet are you eating? I know it seems like its getting kinda personal but the more info given, the more likely someone can offer advice or help with your questions. There's a wealth of knowledge here. There are people like me who have been at this only a short time to others that have been at it over 60 years. So there's a good chance someone can head you in the right direction.

Good luck and catch ya on the flip side.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
newly diagnosis

Thank you David. I know it is the metaformin that is causing the smell it wasn't there before and others are complaining on here about it. My doctor told me to take one reading a day, and to do before a meal. My glucose reading when I take it is always 121, I am going to go on my Doctor's site to get the rest of the readings But this is the reading I am getting with my meter. I really don't want to change meds, this one is the safest of them all to take for diabetes 2 and it doesn't make you gain weight. The others do. It says a woman should eat 30-50 carbs a meal. I had 40 carbs for breakfast today. I am all new to this and really am confused on what to eat . I wish there were charts on line telling the number of carbs, protein, etc. that is in the foods. Sue

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
ashleynabbee07 said:
Thank you David. I know it is the metaformin that is causing the smell it wasn't there before and others are complaining on here about it. My doctor told me to take one reading a day, and to do before a meal. My glucose reading when I take it is always 121, I am going to go on my Doctor's site to get the rest of the readings But this is the reading I am getting with my meter. I really don't want to change meds, this one is the safest of them all to take for diabetes 2 and it doesn't make you gain weight. The others do. It says a woman should eat 30-50 carbs a meal. I had 40 carbs for breakfast today. I am all new to this and really am confused on what to eat . I wish there were charts on line telling the number of carbs, protein, etc. that is in the foods. Sue
Well u was going to warn you if the carb heavy diet recommended for us as diabetics. It doesn't work. Try dropping the carbs and replace with healthy fats. It worked well enough for that as long as I eat properly I do t need meds anymore, an u was taking over 300u of insulin a day a year ago.

Try these sites:
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com
They have good basic info on a good way to eat

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never been on insulin, I have diabetes 2 and was diagnosis two weeks ago. I got the rest of my readings. My BMI 43.2 acl 6.9% cholestral 218 LDL 144 and hdL 48 thanks for info I will go check it out. Sue

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Sue . . . as David has said, the doctor-recommended diet does not work - 30-50g of carbs per meal is far too much for most diabetics. Many of us don't eat that many in a whole day, let alone a meal. Check the links he gave you, and you'll find the easiest route to success in controlling your diabetes. The metformin dosage you're taking is quite low, and you're right - it's the safest drug for us, and it also can act as an appetite suppressant, working especially well with the low-carb way-of-eating.

See if you can't get your carbs down around 50g per day, and I bet you'll see a nice drop in your blood sugar. The lc/hf way-of-eating will also help greatly in controlling your cholesterol and losing weight.

I have one big issue with your doctor's advice - for whatever reason, most doctors think testing is not important. Actually, it's of the utmost importance, and you need to test a lot in the beginning. You need to test as soon as you wake up in the morning - this is your fasting blood sugar. You need to test three times around each meal to determine how your body tolerates the foods you're eating, so test before you eat; then test again at one hour after your first bite, and test a third time at the two-hour interval after your first bite. If the last two tests show blood sugar over 140, then go back and check that meal for the carbs that would cause such a spike, and delete them from your food plan. Once you learn which foods raise your blood sugar, you won't have to test so much unless you introduce new foods, or if you eat someone else's cooking where you don't know how it's made.

p.s. type 2 diabetics can also need insulin, which only means they are insulin-dependent type 2. Insulin is just one more tool on our arsenal, and nothing to be afraid of. Keeping our blood sugar low and stable is the greatest issue, and whatever it takes to do that is what we must do.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi ashley and welcome.

Please listen to David and Shanny and skb, they know what they are talking about. Be sure to read the Blood Sugar 101 webiste, to learn about your disease and how to control it. Jenny Ruhl is a type 2 diabetic that has really done the research. She summarizes the latest research.

My thinking when reading your OP is that perhaps you are dehydrated. I know now that I was really dehydrated at the time of my Dx. My skin was getting dry, I was waking up with intolerably dry mouth, etc. And your urine will get concentrated and smell. And dehydration is a very real complication of high blood sugars.

So I would suggest drinking LOTS and LOTS of water, like 8 full glasses a day. Not soda pop and not coffee (you can drink coffee just don't count it as water). You will see a big difference soon.

I can certainly relate to how confusing it is, everyone says do this, don't do that. But I know of no other diet plan that gets such good results as the LC/HF has done for the members of this forum and others that follow. When you think about it - it just makes more sense. Our bodies can't handle sugar like other non-diabetic people can. The carbs we eat become sugar. If we eat too many carbs, we have too much sugar in our blood. So to have less sugar, eat fewer carbs.
Good luck to you!
Gretchen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello & welcome, Sue . . . as David has said, the doctor-recommended diet does not work - 30-50g of carbs per meal is far too much for most diabetics. Many of us don't eat that many in a whole day, let alone a meal. Check the links he gave you, and you'll find the easiest route to success in controlling your diabetes. The metformin dosage you're taking is quite low, and you're right - it's the safest drug for us, and it also can act as an appetite suppressant, working especially well with the low-carb way-of-eating.

See if you can't get your carbs down around 50g per day, and I bet you'll see a nice drop in your blood sugar. The lc/hf way-of-eating will also help greatly in controlling your cholesterol and losing weight.

I have one big issue with your doctor's advice - for whatever reason, most doctors think testing is not important. Actually, it's of the utmost importance, and you need to test a lot in the beginning. You need to test as soon as you wake up in the morning - this is your fasting blood sugar. You need to test three times around each meal to determine how your body tolerates the foods you're eating, so test before you eat; then test again at one hour after your first bite, and test a third time at the two-hour interval after your first bite. If the last two tests show blood sugar over 140, then go back and check that meal for the carbs that would cause such a spike, and delete them from your food plan. Once you learn which foods raise your blood sugar, you won't have to test so much unless you introduce new foods, or if you eat someone else's cooking where you don't know how it's made.

p.s. type 2 diabetics can also need insulin, which only means they are insulin-dependent type 2. Insulin is just one more tool on our arsenal, and nothing to be afraid of. Keeping our blood sugar low and stable is the greatest issue, and whatever it takes to do that is what we must do.
Thank you Shanny, Okay will also take your advice and will start checking it more often, I am keeping a log on what I eat. So I can go back and check. Eventually I will get on task on understanding what to eat. I know what not to eat but need to see what my body will let me eat otherwise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts