The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Katie, I am 23 years old, and I was diagnosed with Type 1 about 6 months ago after getting sick over Labor day and just never really recovering. It all started off with a weird sort of intestinal virus, then the flu, then a bacterial infection, followed by another bacterial infection in the form of an abscess- not to mention I dropped about 15 pounds in about a week. Looking back I can definitely identify other symptoms- increased thirst, increased hunger, and extreme exhaustion. But of course it wasn't until I dropped 15 pounds that I finally buckled down and got checked out. By that point I was so sick and on so many meds I actually had to wait a full week to get any sort of blood work done. Once I was able to, my lab results showed a fasting blood sugar of 330 and an A1c of 18.5. (My endo told me she had never seen a number this high before!) Of course at the time I had no clue what this all really meant.

Fast forward to now....My latest A1c reading was 5.5 (a little low according to my endo, she said I could loosen up on my control a bit) and just began using the Dexcom CGM. I take 25 units of Lantus a night, and use Humalog at every meal with a carb ratio. I've had my share of weird symptoms/adjustments since being diagnosed, but overall am doing well!

I just found this forum and love reading other people's stories to know that there are other people out there just like me. It's definitely a great way to stay encouraged! I look forward to using this site more and more.

Katie

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Katie, welcome aboard! You are doing very, very well now. Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great when you have good control?

I am using the Dexcom too. How closely do the Dexcom numbers agree with your meter? Mine are usually less than 10 points different. I started off with my Dex in January and had no success. I joined a Dexcom users group on another diabetes site and found many helpful hints that are not available in the Dexcom manual. Now I am having very good results.

Thanks for joining us and be sure to ask all the questions you want.

Richard

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi and welcome
sory to meet you

as far as your A1C, You need to control your BGL. The more normal you keep your BGL the better your looooong term health.

As you know
your tools

Pills and insulin
exercise
Food

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially bad carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a potato is worse than eating sugar as far as BGL goes.)
Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.
meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL
exercise
lowers BSL

Read the labels on food packages
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

O ya… To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… Test, test, test… before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat , test 2 hours after you eat test before exercise test after exercise.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome and sorry to have to meet you :p

You have done an amzing job getting control...congrats! I know how hard it is :) That A1c is just crazy...I thought my high of 12.6 was bad....

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to getting to know you :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Katie - we love having you join us! You've made tremendous progress in a very short time - good work! That's the way to buckle down and get control.

I hope you'll settle in here & we can get better acquainted . . . it's always great to make new friends.

take care,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts