The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just joined this forum so I'm giving you some background info before I start posting in the other sections because I do have a question.

I'm 33 yrs old and married. I got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in Jan 2012 which my Dr said was due to my personal history of gestational diabetes about 10 years ago and my family history. Not to mention my BMI since I am considered obsese. They started me off on 500 mg of metformin and upped it to 1000 mg which seemed to be working for the most part. Then I made changes to my diet and my A1C went from a 7 to a 6 in about 9 months to a year so they took me off the metformin. So was controlling my glucose levels by diet alone.

Fast forward to Sept 2013 which is when I found out that I'm pregnant again. They put me on Glyburide and I take 2.5mg once a day. I monitor my glucose 4 times or more a day. I personally don't like the glyburide because it seems like it takes hours before it takes affect and it causes me to have hypogylcemia often.

It seems to be doing the trick for the most part as long as I am careful what I eat in the morning (only eggs, meats, low starch veggies) and I eat every 2-3 hours.

I suppose that's the overall rundown of me and my history. If anyone else has experience with Glyburide, especially during pregnancy, please feel free to leave tips and advise. I'm open to suggestions!:)

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Welcome to the best forum on the internet for those who want to gain control of their diabetes.

It looks like you are trying to do this, but there are some things that you can improve upon (I'm thinking of your other thread where you ate a lot of carbs and your BG soared over 200).

The best thing we can suggest to you is to greatly reduce the amount of carbs you eat. This will keep your BG from spiking. A word about Glyburide - it forces the pancreas to produce insulin and, as you have experienced, it is uncontrolled release of insulin irregardless of whether or not it's needed, so lows are very commonplace with this drug.

Most of us on this forum eat a low-carb/high-fat diet to control our diabetes. It makes sense to stop eating what causes high blood sugar in the first place - the carbs. This WOE works best is one replaces the carbs with healthy fats, keeping protein consumption at a moderate level.

Eating this way could allow you to stop taking the Glyburide because you might not need it. Also, it has undesirable side effects and one is better off without it.

A really good place to read about diabetes, its causes and how to control one's blood sugar levels is at Blood Sugar 101 This is a good education and is where we strongly encourage every new forum member go in order to learn how to get and keep their blood sugar levels in the normal range.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
I'd like to add that the Blood Sugar 101 site has a section on diabetes medications. You can read up on Glyburide there. Has your doctor said it is safe to take when pregnant? (I don't know, but it would seem that if you can keep from taking it that would be better for the baby.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses!

Regarding my glucose recently that was over 200, w/in in an hour it was back down to 133, thank fully! I chose to eat some hardboiled eggs for lunch and some nuts. I have to keep an eye on it because Glyburide does cause me to have low blood sugar, generally in the 40's and 50's rather quickly.

My OB is the one that put me on the Glyburide. It is safe in pregnancy.

I have not gained any weight at all during my pregnancy and I have been very careful of what I am eating. I am actually losing weight and recently had ketones in my urine. My OB was concerned about the combination of ketones plus weight loss so he advised me to add more carbs (complex carbs). Previously i was mostly eating lean meats, eggs, nuts, fruits and veggies. And dairy of course.

My blood sugar does not normally get up into the 200's but it has on occasion. My dr mentioned it can also be due to the pregnancy hormones and the placenta which change the way my body responds to carbs.

So as you can see, it's been a constant battle and a lot of trial and error finding out the best food/food combinations to eat and keep my blood sugar stable.

I will check out the forum/link that was mentioned above. Thank you!!

(I'm going to post this response in my other post as well. Hope that is ok)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi mrskoonce and welcome to the forum!! This really is the best and most friendly place on the internet for all things diabetes. I can't speak to either insulin or diabetes when pregnant, others can help with that, U just wanted to welcome you and encourage you to ask any and all questions you may have.

Best of luck to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts