The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i'm blackrose
i'm 23

i dont really know if i'm diabetic or not currently self testing with your standard finger prick machines

i've had normal results so far pretty much

4.7 fasting 12hrs
4.9 following diluted concetrate (had forgotten i drank it and was learning how to work it)

i do have alot of symptoms but i guess they may not be connected
i dont think i have any direct family with it but distant relative on my mums side

i just really wanted to rule it out as i have been having "fits" on and off for 5 years the doctor thought they were panic attacks but that test came off neg

i dont get them too often these days since i cut back on my sugar and alchol intake

get them approx 4 times a year max

i've however had diabetics see ny fits on 3 occasions n they all told me i should test for it so hear it goes :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, blackrose, and welcome. Those are pretty darn nice numbers and sure not indicative of diabetes. I hope your doctor will pursue this and help you find the cause of the episodes you've been having.

·
Registered
204 Posts
........................I've had normal results so far pretty much

4.7 fasting 12hrs
4.9 following diluted concetrate (had forgotten i drank it and was learning how to work it)...................
That all that sounds pretty normal to me! The fasting test really tells you very little because a diabetic could get a result like that.

However, your 4.9 following drinking a sugary drink is fairly indicative that you don't have a problem. At what time after drinking the concentrate did you test?

If you want to reassure yourself further try drinking some a sugary drink such as regular Coca Cola or Lucozade or something similar then test after about one hour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
erm probably with half an hr or so i cant really remember and i was still quite thirsty when i had it and i diudnt drink that much of it anyway

i thought i'd take one last one after i ate and leave it at that untill i next have a "fit"

i mean even if i do have it it seems most likley i can control it with a normal diet and excersize thoe excersize isnt all to easy for me

·
Registered
204 Posts
i did read a post on another forum saying that even diabetics can get normal numbers occasionally thoe
Yes - they do - especially fasting readings! However, it's hard to miss if you test approximately one hour after eating a meal with a lot of sugar or carbohydrate in it - e.g. a large bowl of cereal with or without added sugar.

My numbers are normal almost all of the time but only because I have changed my diet to eat very little starchy carbohydrate - e.g. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6.3 1hr 25 mins after food (meant to go for an hr but had a bath while waiting and ended up bieng a little late)

doesn't that class as pre ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
That 6.2 result still falls into non-diabetic levels. What did you eat - that is a very important aspect too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nothing healthy dont see the point in doing that untill i know one way or other thoe i suppose might need to redo a meal test as i had lunch meant to wait an hr but then my bf dumped a choccie biccie on me so waited a further hr untill that was out of the way

·
Registered
204 Posts
What I meant was what food did you eat because that is what causes your blood glucose levels to go up.

For example, if you ate a beef steak or some other meat that would do hardly anything to your blood glucose levels, However, if you ate bread, cereals, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza that would put your levels up by a large amount.

·
Registered
204 Posts
bacon grill and beans
That's a fairly healthy low-carb meal for a diabetic just so long as you didn't eat bread with it. I wouldn't have expected that to have take taken a diabetic particularly high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts