The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
New to forum and to diabetes.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes
Hello Craig and welcome to the forum. I hope that you will fill comfortable here. There is a wealth of information to be found on here. Read what interests you. I hope you have time to visit often and take care!

G

·
welcome Craig :) so when did you get diagnosed? what type of diabetes did you get diagnosed with? Tell us how you are managing your diabetes so far. There's lots of experience and support on this forum. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
onlymep said:
welcome Craig :) so when did you get diagnosed? what type of diabetes did you get diagnosed with? Tell us how you are managing your diabetes so far. There's lots of experience and support on this forum. Look forward to hearing your experiences.
Diagnosed 8 months ago. I recently decided to tell Dr.'s to pound salt as they have done nothing to help, so I am self medicating, trying to get things back in order. My A1c was 12.1 and BG as high as 787 averaging almost 400 under Dr supervision. I have been miserable. I have lowered my average to 187 in the last two weeks under my own medication regiment.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Those are some impressive numbers - 787 is a definite wowsers!

What did the doctor (endocrinologist or no?) do, or not do? Did they give you medication? You said you're self-medicating - with what?

Welcome to the forum - there's so much wonderful information and support here.

Edit: Just saw your post of last month when you mentioned docs, insulin, numbers going up and down when they should be doing the opposite - so you can leap to the last question :) ... what strategy are you using to get better results on your own?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm monitoring 20-30 times a day and when BG starts creeping I dose with Humalog. This has kept me ahead of the curve created when I was on 70/30 or the sliding scale. It seems my insulin resistance is very high (about 7 times normal) from what I have read.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forums, Craig!

I'm a newbie Type-II here that's non-insulin dependent, so I don't have too much to input on the subject, but lots of the insulin users here can help you figure things out, I'm sure!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm monitoring 20-30 times a day and when BG starts creeping I dose with Humalog. This has kept me ahead of the curve created when I was on 70/30 or the sliding scale. It seems my insulin resistance is very high (about 7 times normal) from what I have read.

Were you seeing a general MD or an endocrinologist? If you were not seeing an endo I am going to highly recommend it. While I applaud your determination to control your blood sugar, self-medicating..especially for a new diabetic...can be risky business. I am all for taking responsibility for your healthcare and your body, but I will say that working together with a good endocrinogist is so important. There are so many more things that you need as a diabetic besides just using insuilin. You need monitoring of your blood work, and you need to see other doctors also for things like having your eyes checked. The books Think Like a Pancreas and Using Insulin are invaluable in helping you understand the intricacies of managing blood sugar with insulin. If you are having problems with insulin resistance you should be taking something for that. Are you T2 or are you T1? Even if you are T1 you could still be experiencing insulin resistance and would benefit from something like metformin. You obviously need a Dr for that. I could be wrong also....but I believe that once you run out of Novolog, you wont be able to get more without a prescription. Are you also taking Lantus? If so that is prescription only also. I think the only thing you can get without a scrip is Humulin N and Humulin R....if so...those insulins do not work the same way and you might have difficulty with them. Be cautious with taking too many doses of Humalog too close together. You can get into trouble with insulin stacking if you arent careful .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts