The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My name is Neil, just got the news that I am on the cusp of diabiets so started looking at the long term commitment of healthy living.

Just thought I would look around ask questions and have fun

Thanks

G

·
welcome Neil :) so are you in the process of being diagnosed? I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome Neil :) so are you in the process of being diagnosed? I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Yes, over the next 4 months I will be probed and proded and sent to classes on diabeties so that I can lose weight as well.

I am hoping to deal with it through diet and exersise, I have COPD and don't want any more drugs.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes, over the next 4 months I will be probed and proded and sent to classes on diabeties so that I can lose weight as well.

I am hoping to deal with it through diet and exersise, I have COPD and don't want any more drugs.

Thanks for the reply.
:welcome: from me!

If you're in the early stages with low levels, it's common to control it well with diet and exercise, and I sure hope you're able to!

Do your best to stick with a low-carb diet. (AVOID the "High-Fiber/Low-Fat" diets that many nutritionists/doctors etc. will push on you, this has never been shown to be a good diet for diabetics.) Do your best to get your carbs from veggies (except potatoes, corn and parsnips) and lower your intake of cereals, grains, rices, pasta, anything with flour/sugar, etc. Some people can eat fruit in moderation, stick with lower-GI fruits such as berries and cherries.

If you get a meter and can test, that's the BEST way, bar-none, to learn what you can eat. Test before eating, 1hr after eating, and 2hrs after eating.

Watch the 'spike' that happens at the 1hr mark - anything above 140 on the US scale (7.8 for the rest of us) means some carb you ate should probably be reduced or avoided.

By the 2hr mark you should be returning close to your pre-meal level. If not, again you may want to reduce or eliminate that particular carb from your diet.

Daily exercise is also a key. Not as easy with COPD I'm sure, but do what you can.

Glad you found us, and hope things work out well! Stay positive, and ask us anything, there's a GREAT deal of support here from some wonderful people!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome! Feel free to ask any and all questions!

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeremymc1, dkyle, ThoseBackPages, beefy

Hi All,
Thanks to all for your warm welcome and replies.

I am still working on trying to get a handle on it all, once I do that the rest will be a cake walk. (no cake)

I use brown rice, (rice is a staple) that is not going to be easy for me.

What kind of meter am I to look at, any particular brand etc.

At the moment I am looking at recipies and getting things worked out so I can go in with some knowledge.

Thanks again for all the help etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome. You've definitely come to the right place if advice and information is what you are after. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
kazorp,

I think most of the meters are pretty good. I use One touch, But I will look to switch at somepoint. I value the computer download capability and software on the computer analyze the numbers. I hope there are better programs out there than One touch's I would also like an alarm to tell me to test, Which one touch doesnt have. Accu-chek has an alarm as well as some others, Also accucheck is supposed to have a GREAT lancing device.

Do a google search on blood glucose meter and see what some of them do and get the features that are important to you. You probably also want to check with your insurance to see if they prefer any brand of test strips, or rather if any of them are prohibitively expensive

My preferences are:
not too big
Good lancing device
Alarms
Software and cables ( usually sold seperatly )
and of course accuracy

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tony and Don,

Well I am not sure what I am in for so I need info as much as possible this way I can have spacific questions for the doctor.

Will do a Google search and find out more.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello kazorp and :welcome: to the forum! There is a lot of information to be found here. If you can't find something, go to the forum page and use the white box. I hope you have time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
83 Posts
kazorp,
Also accucheck is supposed to have a GREAT lancing device.
I have used Accu-Check for years now, but I just had to replace my meter a few weeks ago and because my current prescription for chemstrips is for Accu-Check, I got the exact same meter (Accu-Check Aviva) except they had made some improvements/upgrades to it. My old Aviva did not give me my 7-day, 14-day, and 30-day average. It also did not have alarms... and yes, this one came with the new lancing device, Accu-Chek Multiclix, and I really do like it! Most of the time it doesn't even feel like I've pricked myself. The lancing device is nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the e-mail can you explain what is a "Lancing device", just starting and I am not sure about anything

Thanks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Many - prob'ly MOST - meters come with a lancing device included. It holds a very small needle which can then be adjusted for depth, and the instructions for usage are included.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That is the nasty little device that pricks your finger to get the blood out to put on the test strip. Believe me when i say you want one of the nice ones.
My current one ( one touch delica ) has lancets that make my old ones look like tree trunks
Don

G

·
of course, just remember when testing to use the side of your fingers so you're not destroying nerve endings at tips of your fingers. I test so much I get calusses, but have to rotate fingers regularly of course.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts