The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. 36 yr old with type 2. My last 3 HbA1c have been 12, 7.1, 8.1. BMI of 31.6 and on metformin, glimepiride, pravastatin, lisinopril. I have found that DM is not easy to live with, and that it requires a great amount of discipline esp as concerns food and exercise. Diet is especially challenging for me. At least exercise is improving. I plan to shed at least 30 lbs over the next one year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome and good luck!

The Diet thing gets easier to understand, but its always those darn day to day choices :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dkyle; yes, biggest challenge is to reduce the high glycemic index carbs especially, reduce daily calorie intake while still not getting hungry?? Any diet advice would be most welcome

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Thanks dkyle; yes, biggest challenge is to reduce the high glycemic index carbs especially, reduce daily calorie intake while still not getting hungry?? Any diet advice would be most welcome
One thing to bear in mind - it's not the calories that count - it's the carbohydrates. Lose the bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and replace them with salads or veggies and you will find many issues just melt away (including the pounds!). I lost 25 lbs in four months and didn't get hungry:smile:

Do have a look here Blood Sugar 101 and in particular her comments on controlling blood sugar.

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I agree with John it is not about calories, it is about the carbs you eat at meals. We each have our own threshold at meals. Using your meter figure out what yours is. This is called Eating to your Meter. You want the lowest bgs possible after meals. My goal is to aim for an after meal numbers similar to a Non D which is 100-120. Most diabetics keep it 120-180. I don't bother with Glycemic index because when it was started in the 1980's, it was tested on normal people, not D's. Most of the food on the list wheter it is high or low GI will spike us as diabetics. This is why using your meter is a much better way because we all respond differently. Also adding fat to meals helps lower the spike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What has worked for me is to keep the simple idea in mind to do the best i can each day. I use a program called Diabetes Pilot. i have it on my desktop and on my iphone/ipod. It has a reasonable food database, but the good thing is i can add foods to it that i eat. So the first month or two takes a little more time, because you are entering food labels for what you eat a lot, but once you enter a food, it is a simple button click to add it to a meal

I have found that it is really difficult to estimate carbs in a lot of restaurants. Some salads have more carbs than a huge backed potato, so having a way to look up the foods helps you make good choices. Having an easy way to record EVERYTHING helps you make good choices.

With the data recorded i can go back and look for trends, what kinds of foods affect me the most, and what affects me the least. Also it is way to hold yourself accountable. If i sin, i record it - no one else has to see it but me, but it means i am being honest with myself and owning the choices i make.

I also record my meds, exercise, weight, BP, A1c, etc in this program - and it works for me

some Mindset changes help me as well.
For some people, cold turkey is the way that works for them, But i have been down that road before and it is too much to bear.
I decide what i need to do to be healthy and i do my best to do that. Next week/month i will look again and see if there is something i can do better, etc

In short - get the information to know what you are eating
record what you eat, so you know the truth
look at where you are and what you can do better
repeat :)

I eat less now that i make better choices and i eat better. I also have learned about MY body and what works for me.

I also believe exercise plays a pivotal role in my diet, my insulin resistance has dropped dramatically, I FEEL BETTER, so i make better choices. Again, start where you are ( duh ) dont appologize for not being where you think you should be - just start. Walk, do situps, work a few weights if you can, park at the far end of the parking lots, walk to the store, etc what ever you can do that isnt sitting on you butt - do it and as you can increase what you do

and finally enjoy the progress - and enjoy LIFE

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Unbeliavable how much one can learn here and also on 'blood sugar 101'. Need to add an electronic kitchen scale. The technique of using the after meal blood sugar level to determine how much carb to eat is good!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Before diabetes I was a vegetarina who ate no fat at all. When I was dx'd my bg's were over 200, HbA1c over 10 and cholesterol was in the high 200's. Since going on a low carb diet I have added fatty meats back into my diet. Not only have I lost weight, my bgs are now under 100 most of the day and my cholesterol has dropped significantly. LDL and Trigs are under 100 and HDL is in the high 80's. So for me I don't worry about cholesterol or calories in foods. The effect on my bg is the only thing I watch for. I have gradually taken all processed and fast foods out of my diet. My body seems to work so much better when I eat real food and real fats. I use real butter, full fat cream cheese and sour cream and full fat cheese every day. It is nice to be at the weight I was in college in 1968.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my major mistake was in trying a 'diet' with low fat and keeping 'good' carbs-now get that that is more for non diabetics. What about fruits-most have sugars, dont they? bananas? Saw somewhere that legumes may be more of carbs??

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Most fruits are out-of-bounds for me - I can eat tomatoes & avocados, occasional wee portions of berries or a slice of apple if I spread enough peanut butter on it - but nothing that usually comes to mind when we think of "fruit". And I can eat limited amounts of a few legumes like black beans or early green peas, but these are things each of us has to test out for ourselves - the ubiquitous "eat-to-your-meter" admonition! ;)

Good to have you with us, Ken!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
my major mistake was in trying a 'diet' with low fat and keeping 'good' carbs-now get that that is more for non diabetics. What about fruits-most have sugars, dont they? bananas? Saw somewhere that legumes may be more of carbs??
Ken,

In addition to all the good advice about tracking what you eat, you do need something to tell you what the carb content of the meal is. As has been said, restaurants are evil - until you know them well the only defence you've got is your meter - for the next few months you will go through more test strips than you knew existed. Whilst technology helps, a little carb counter book (the wife uses the Collins Gem) is a godsend.

Fruit in moderation is ok - but again, as has already been said, you need to know which ones spike you and which ones you can handle - and there's only one way to find out (three guesses?:smile:)

Fats - not a problem and avoid the chemical abortions being marketed as 'good for you' - stick with good old fashioned butter and things like olive oil. After I left hospital in August, the wife started serving breakfast as sausage, fried eggs, salad or spinach followed by a piece of fruit (apple, pear, clementine, banana (especially if I had tested low)) and some nuts.

My cholesterol figures out of hospital were pretty ropey - Now they are a doctor's dream.

Stay very far away from anything labelled as "specially for diabetics" - they are carb loaded poison! (a personal view but one I think some others on the forum might agree with)

Good luck and keep reading - things like 101 or go for broke and get hold of Richard Bernstein's "Diabetic Solution" for some useful ideas.

John

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I do eat fruit, unlike some here, but I ONLY have mine as part of my post-workout smoothie.

I'll usually put 1/2 banana and some berries (Strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and/or blueberry) into my smoothie along with my scoop of protein, glutamine and a packet of stevia (because I like it sweet, lol).

... when I say post-workout though, I'm talking about 90 minutes plus of fairly high intensity. The carbs in my smoothie pretty much go to replenishing my glycogen stores at that point, and don't affect me much at all.

If I eat fruit other times of the day, I will usually get a spike from it depending on the quantity and type of fruit eaten, so I just don't bother anymore.

G

·
welcome Ken :) as you can tell we are all different on what we can actually eat... and what works for us. Eg. I don't eat a high fat diet (my cholesterol increases), and I eat low GI carbs as they work better for me. If you are going to change the way you eat, be sure to keep your blood tests (lab tests) regular to see what effect the food is having on your cholesterol and BGLs. But controlling diabetes is so much more than just diet and exercise... a lot of other stuff comes into play such as amount of sleep you get, stress levels, illness, pain in your body, are you hydrated enough... etc. It's such a balancing act! I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome Kenman. You'll certainly find out a lot of answers to your questions just by browsing these forums. They've definitely opened my eyes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts