The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! From the beautiful NW.
I've been a diabetic for a while and have never really taken it seriously. I just spent a few days in the cardiac icu and a week in the hospital. I had a severe case of DKA. It scared me enough that I really want to get better and be functioning and not always tired and sick. I'm hoping to find a few friends along the way who can relate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know anything about diabetes yet but regardless, I'm so sorry you had to endure a hospital stay. That must have been so scary.

I was only diagnosed yesterday so while I'm totally useless with any useful information, I do good (hugs). I've found this site to be so helpful and full of inspiration. Take it easy.

G

·
welcome Jazzy :) I'm sorry to hear you had such a big scare. I hope you're feeling better now. You've had the condition for a while I notice... are you injecting or pumping? What's your diet like? I'm sure you will find this is a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Hi Jazzy - welcome to the forum.

I'm Type 2 but had a relatively dramatic wake-up call too, and it's the best thing that happened to me. I was also sick and tired (sick and tired!) without knowing why. I was like the old story of the frog in boiling water, gradually getting used to feeling worse and worse until I boiled over.

I'm 3 months since dx and feel better than I have in quite a while - it's something to look forward to. Most remarkable is how quick the payoff was changing my diet and getting my blood glucose in sane range.

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've been a diabetic for a while and have never really taken it seriously. I just spent a few days in the cardiac icu and a week in the hospital. I had a severe case of DKA. It scared me enough that I really want to get better and be functioning and not always tired and sick. I'm hoping to find a few friends along the way who can relate.
Welcome, Jazzy! :welcome:

Yup, a nice case of DKA and a trip to the ICU is one heck of a motivator! That's where I got my diagnosis. 'Til then, I knew something was wrong, but could not find any answers.

It may take awhile to recover from being so ill, but it does get better. After a month-and-a-half, I'm still not 100%, but now I remember what feeling good is like, and I know how to get all the way back there.

Glad you found us. You'll find lots of info and support here. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello

Hi Jazzy, I guess you intend to be very serious about your type 1 now, since you have joined our support group. I'm pleased to see that. With dedication and patience, you can get very good control. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. We can have long, healthy lives if we really work at it.

Ask all the questions you want, we are here to help!

Richard

·
Registered
105 Posts

Hi jazzy..welcome to the forum. that must have been a scary experience in the hospital...not knowing whats going on or what will happen. :( hope you feel better. we are all here to help and support. :D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forum!

Like others I'm also sorry to hear about the hospital stay, but I'm really glad that you're now motivated to improve your health!

This is a great place for that kind of support! Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't even see mine coming.. good luck to you and welcome:D

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi everyone - Sorry I haven't been here for so long. I'm a "bad girl" - I like my sweets. When my sugar is high (and it's been sky-high at times) I get no symptoms, but when it's low I feel awful - sweating profusely, shaking, feeling weak, etc. Anyone else like this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts