The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not sure how to work this & not much of a forum person. Sure I will work through it and figure it out just like I have to figure out this new thing in my life Diabetes. Well I am still lost least I think I am lost. Well if anyone one is out there Hi names Michael 50 plus :) just became aware of my issue after Christmas this year. Whole thing was rather scary. I am 6'1.5" used to weigh 184 now down to under 172 and feel like I am wasting away. Have had pancreatic attacks and well the pain of those I would not want to wish on anyone. Stopped drinking over 5 years ago and it was not like I drank much just a glass or two of wine everyday which is suppose to be good for you but not for me. Now I have the additional challenge of dealing with diabetes. Everyone here seems to use something other than mmols I am trying to hold mine between 5&7. When I know I am high I seem to be able to bring it down quickly by riding stationary bike for 1/2 hour like today was over 10 and brought it down to 4.3 after 30 minutes of exercise. I am definitely burning more than I can take in based on weight loss. Diet totally changed. Used to love that tablespoon of brown sugar in my coffee not black. Used to love ice-cream after dinner and chocolate and now can't remember what chocolate taste like. I know it's life and others have it worse than me but it still sucks. Wife is great about cooking to my needs as she is a health nut and runner who is working on her 10th marathon. Me unfortunately blew my knee out and can't run far which would be a help controlling my sugars. Still feel a little lost in all this and probably like many just trying to work through it. CHEERS

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HardBackStrider said:
Not sure how to work this & not much of a forum person. Sure I will work through it and figure it out just like I have to figure out this new thing in my life Diabetes. Well I am still lost least I think I am lost. Well if anyone one is out there Hi names Michael 50 plus :) just became aware of my issue after Christmas this year. Whole thing was rather scary. I am 6'1.5" used to weigh 184 now down to under 172 and feel like I am wasting away. Have had pancreatic attacks and well the pain of those I would not want to wish on anyone. Stopped drinking over 5 years ago and it was not like I drank much just a glass or two of wine everyday which is suppose to be good for you but not for me. Now I have the additional challenge of dealing with diabetes. Everyone here seems to use something other than mmols I am trying to hold mine between 5&7. When I know I am high I seem to be able to bring it down quickly by riding stationary bike for 1/2 hour like today was over 10 and brought it down to 4.3 after 30 minutes of exercise. I am definitely burning more than I can take in based on weight loss. Diet totally changed. Used to love that tablespoon of brown sugar in my coffee not black. Used to love ice-cream after dinner and chocolate and now can't remember what chocolate taste like. I know it's life and others have it worse than me but it still sucks. Wife is great about cooking to my needs as she is a health nut and runner who is working on her 10th marathon. Me unfortunately blew my knee out and can't run far which would be a help controlling my sugars. Still feel a little lost in all this and probably like many just trying to work through it. CHEERS
Ok looks like I have no clue how to work this plus I am talking to myself.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Nah, you aren't talking to yourself! :D

I'm trying to learn a new trick too . . . how to merge your posts into one. We keep trying, we'll both get the hang of it eventually! ;)

Welcome aboard, HBS.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shanny said:
Nah, you aren't talking to yourself! :D

I'm trying to learn a new trick too . . . how to merge your posts into one. We keep trying, we'll both get the hang of it eventually! ;)

Welcome aboard, HBS.
Thanks Shanny nice to know my babble is going somewhere :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok looks like I have no clue how to work this plus I am talking to myself.
Welcome. I'm a newbie myself.

I thought my life was over when I was diagnosed 12 years ago with Type 1. It is definitely a life-changer. I was afraid to leave the house for about a year, but the longer I have lived with it the easier it has become to deal with. Nowadays I can eat just about anything and do just about anything as long as I have my meter, my glucose tablets, and my insulin. I'd advise just be careful with what you eat until you become comfortable with how to count carbs and deal with certain foods. But know that the more you get comfortable the less you will feel like a prisoner. I can eat just about anything nowadays. I drink a pot of coffee a day with the most incredibly sugary coffee creamer and I do just fine. Though if I had tried doing that several years ago, before I knew how to properly deal with it, I'd probably be in trouble.

Just want you to be aware that it won't always be so unbearable. There is definitely A LOT to take in and A LOT to worry about in the beginning, but eventually it will just be something that is second nature.

Make sure you see an endocrinologist and a diabetes educator and even a dietician. It is a pain, but the more knowledge you have, the freer you will be!

Good luck!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ecal said:

I thought my life was over when I was diagnosed 12 years ago with Type 1. It is definitely a life-changer. I was afraid to leave the house for about a year, but the longer I have lived with it the easier it has become to deal with. Nowadays I can eat just about anything and do just about anything as long as I have my meter, my glucose tablets, and my insulin. I'd advise just be careful with what you eat until you become comfortable with how to count carbs and deal with certain foods. But know that the more you get comfortable the less you will feel like a prisoner. I can eat just about anything nowadays. I drink a pot of coffee a day with the most incredibly sugary coffee creamer and I do just fine. Though if I had tried doing that several years ago, before I knew how to properly deal with it, I'd probably be in trouble.

Just want you to be aware that it won't always be so unbearable. There is definitely A LOT to take in and A LOT to worry about in the beginning, but eventually it will just be something that is second nature.

Make sure you see an endocrinologist and a diabetes educator and even a dietician. It is a pain, but the more knowledge you have, the freer you will be!

Good luck!
Thanks ecal right now I am on Metformin 250 mg 3 times a day and it's all about watching what goes in for sugar and bad carbs and .dreaming about chocolate fudge brownies

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, HardBackStrider & Ecal! :welcome:

Glad you found us!

You'll find lots of info and support here.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Used to love that tablespoon of brown sugar in my coffee not black. Used to love ice-cream after dinner and chocolate and now can't remember what chocolate taste like.
I'm someone who can't tolerate artificial sweeteners because the aftertaste is stronger on my palate than most people. The good news is there is a sugar alcohol - erythritol - that tastes almost exactly like sugar. I use it in my coffee and to cook with. It's expensive, so I use it sparingly - cheapest place I've found is Amazon.

There's a low-carb ice cream - CarbSmart by Breyer's. Didn't like the vanilla but a few days ago bought the chocolate and it's not bad! When I have a modest amount it doesn't spike me. They also have fudge bars I've not tried yet.

I also have a square or two of at least 85% dark chocolate every couple of days, and the rich powerful chocolate taste satisfies me without craving more.

Oh - welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, HardBackStrider. My brother-in-law has type 2, he can't cook, his wife hates cooking and mostly brings in carry-out, so he exists on dry cereal and apples. Needless to say, he is now on meds and his bg is out of sight. So you are very lucky to have a wife who is willing to cook to your diabetes.

You'll find a lot of helpful tips here that will help make eating more pleasurable for you, probably even satisfy some of your cravings. Glad you found us, and welcome.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There's a low-carb ice cream - CarbSmart by Breyer's. Didn't like the vanilla but a few days ago bought the chocolate and it's not bad! When I have a modest amount it doesn't spike me. They also have fudge bars I've not tried yet.
I can testify that those fudge bars & their ice cream bars too, are AWESOME!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome HardBackStrider. It seems to me that you would do better to 'eat to your meter' rather than not and then have to expend so many calories on exercise to bring it down in line. Maybe you could check out our recipe section for your wife to cook for you so that your meals and snacks could be low carb? The web is full of low carb recipes and high fats too. Hang out with us and altho' most of us either were trying to lose weight, some of us are just trying to 'eat to our meters' and maintain normal numbers without weight loss.

Pull up a chair and read a lot of the threads here and you'll learn a lot. I forget if you told us whether you are on meds and if so, what are they?

One thing worries me a bit about your situation...my runner friends I have 'load' up on carbs for running and that's opposite what you need to do to have good blood sugar, so you and your wife are a bit like Jack Sprat and his wife! You'll most likely need to eat different diets, so give that some thought and talk it over with her?

Good luck and keep posting,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was dx'd 4 years ago in my late 50's. I thought I was so healthy and exercised all the time. So I did have so relearning to do. Things that are healthy for normal people are not necessarily good for diabetics. Luckily I like to cook and have used this as a challenge to create all sorts of great low carb cookies, muffins, pies. Once you get your bgs stabalised you should start to be able to put weight back on. As far as the different ways of reporting bgs, in the US we use a different system. Take your number and mulitply by 18, or take our number and divide by 18.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shanny said:
You, my friend, have now fallen in with a whole BAND of babblers! heheh! :cool:
Hey Shanny do you know how to stop having emails sent every time someone posts or responds as it's driving me crazy

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Shanny do you know how to stop having emails sent every time someone posts or responds as it's driving me crazy
Go to your User Control Panel (User CP first button on left of black navigation bar above).
Scroll down to Settings & Options in the lefthand column & click Edit Options.
Scroll down to Messaging & Notification in the center column & you'll find Default Thread Subscription Mode. There are several options in the drop-down menu, and the first two would rid you of all the emails, I think. Mine is set on Do not Subscribe, and I never get notification.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shanny said:
Go to your User Control Panel (User CP first button on left of black navigation bar above).
Scroll down to Settings & Options in the lefthand column & click Edit Options.
Scroll down to Messaging & Notification in the center column & you'll find Default Thread Subscription Mode. There are several options in the drop-down menu, and the first two would rid you of all the emails, I think. Mine is set on Do not Subscribe, and I never get notification.

Good luck! :D
Thanks Saved me a bunch of time looking for it. CHEERS

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
A big :welcome: from me, a fellow Albertan! (I'm up in the Airdrie area)

Hang in there, the diagnosis is tough, but it gets easier. I was also told about the diabetes around Christmas, warned about a high fasting reading (OK, *very* high fasting of 14.8/267) just before Christmas and sent for an A1c ... officially diagnosed on Jan 4th, got my testing supplies then.

My mainstay exercise is cycling. With my back condition, all I can do is cycling and swimming (I can't walk 2 blocks) and swimming here is just too expensive... so cycling it is. I eat low-carb (I eat more grams of carbohydrate than many, but take in more than twice the calories, so percentage-wise I'm lower carb than most 60g eaters here...) and test often.

Good luck, you'll find lots of information, support and friendship here. It's a great forum!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Good luck!
Hello and :welcome: to the forum ecal! Sit down and get comfortable. We have a wealth of information here. Read what interests you. If you can't find something just do a search on the forum page in the white box. I hope you have time to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Have you had a c-peptide? With your history, your problem might be underproduction of insulin, rather than insulin resistance. No?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the forum! I am so glad that you found us! We have a wealth of information here so read what interests you. If you can't find something, just do a search on the forum page in the white box. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts