The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and also new to diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 1 about 2 months ago. I'm 38 and was experiencing poor vision,dehydration, very sore legs, lost 15 lbs and constantly tired. Down to 140lbs now and struggling to gain weight. My fasting BG's were 240 and 247.I'm very active and have been an irrigation tech for the last 18 years. So I've been struggling to slow down the pace and learn how to care for this and figured this forum would help with it all. I'm currently on the Novalog 70/30 flex pen, and waiting for labs before I go on the pump. Don't know my A1C as I have only been to endo once and next appt is this Tuesday. Although I have had some terrible lows, most of the time my Bg's are 80-140. Still adapting to how I feel at these numbers. My PCP had me on 12 units in am and 6 units in PM. Currently I'm taking 2 units AM and 1 unit PM. Maybe my pancreas kicked back in?

Kinda ironic as my father was diagnosed with stage 4 renal cell cancer last March, and also had type 2. Little did I know that while I was checking his Bg's and giving him injections, I too had diabetes. Unfortunately he lost his battle on August 1st 2010.

Trying to stay positive through these tough times and want to rule this and not have it rule me. Right now it's ruling me, all I think about.Thank you all!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Gallagher. It does surely rule our thoughts in the early days of our management, but I think you'll be able to develop a routine that works for you & eventually will become second nature. I'm glad to see a pump in your near future!

Very sorry for all the upheaval in your life & I hope you find peace of mind as time goes by. Losing a parent is just really hard.

Since my experience with insulin, pumps, etc., is extremely limited, I'm moving over now to make room for all the others to post.

Take care & thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome...hope some type 1's here can help you but glad you found all of us!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Im sorry to hear about the lose of your father.. Im t2 on oral meds, so I'll default to those with more experience on insulin and the pump.
You will find alot of great support here.. Please don't be afraid to ask anything or if you even need to vent.. we are here for you.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Gallagher, welcome! It does seem like your pancreas is still producing some insulin. If you correctly diagnosed as type 1, you will eventually need to gradually increase your dosages. All type 1 diabetics are totally insulin dependent when their pancreases stop producing insulin. My pancreas stopped in 1945, when I was 6. After 65 years of diabetes, I am very healthy.

John Walsh has written two books: "Pumping Insulin" for pumpers, and "Using Insulin" for people who use injections. I recommend them.

Learn all you can here, ask questions, and take good care of yourself so you can have a long healthy life too.

Richard

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, and welcome. Sad about your father, I am sorry for your loss.

Early-days insulin use can be like driving with drunk goggles on.

All shall become clear, but man, it is a wild ride for a while.

I was lucky, I got to wade in slowly with minimal insulin doses. But D always throws a curve ball once in a while.

The improvement and decreased insulin needs could be 2 things: 1) insulin resistance from running high is subsiding; 2) as your blood sugars normalize, more of your remaining insulin-producing beta cells come back online.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, this is great, just like that I have a bunch of new friends. Thanks. Thats promising to hear Richard. I look forward to feeling healthy, possibly healthier than I ever have. I'm a very active person and this has put a damper on that. Great analogy Fox, is that what they call the honeymoon phase, when your beta cells come back online as you start on insulin? If I was diagnosed correctly will my pancreas slowly stop producing? I keep thinking i was misdiagnosed just because I have lowered my dosages so much in 2 months. Thanks again to all of you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts