The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm Jo-anne & I live in country Victoria, Australia.
I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in June of this year. So I'm still a newbie. I kind of saw this diagnosis coming but didn't do much about it. My Mum & one of my brothers had diabetes. Both have passed away.

Other than knowing Mum & my brother had diabetes I didn't really know a lot about it. I have learned quite a bit since June and have dived right in to doing the right thing. I have even lost 13 kilos (about 28 pounds) which I consider to be a bonus.

I'm off to check the boards but I am glad I found this place. It kind of feels good to know I am not alone.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're definitely not alone, Jo-anne - welcome to one of the busiest little diabetes havens in cyberspace! And congratulations on your weight loss - in only four months! Way to go!

Thank you for joining us . . . take care & visit often!! :wave:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi blossy...I used to live in Bendigo (ex was in the army)...welcome from Perth

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi Blossy I'm from rural Qld just wanted to welcome you congrat you on your weight loss Im sure that will help, any help you need fellow members will certainly do what they can to enighten you :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi Blossy,

Welcome the group. It's great that you are taking such good care of yourself. And Congrats on the weight loss ! :target:

How are your BG numbers doing ? Are you on any meds/insulin ?

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tony
Thank you :)

My levels range anywhere from 4.8 for a fasting glucose to 9.2 a couple of hours after dinner. Tonight's one was a bit high. I know where I went wrong on that one but boy did my dinner taste good :D

My GP, after consulting with my Diabetes Educator, put me on 500mg Diabex XR once a day. I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to try and get things under control with diet & exercise alone but I understand why he put me on meds. I'm just glad that for now I am ticking all the right boxes and getting things under control.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Congrats on the weight loss. I think a lot of us expect immediate bg lowering when we go on medication. Unfortunately it doesn't happen that way. It takes lots of trial and error and experimenting with different foods to see which ones give you the best 2 hour bgs. Sometimes it is not only about taking away carbs but adding things like protein and fat. My bgs are the lowest when I eat a meal high in fat. I also make great cookies and muffins without flour , but with lots of fat ( butter, coconut oil, nut flours). These treats actually lower my bgs. It took me almost 2 years to figure this out. I also had to increase my metformin 3 different times to see lower numbers. Never consider it a failure to take meds if you need them. Although losing weight may help it won't cure your diabetes. I lost 30 pounds since my diagnosis 4+ years ago and am down to 120 pounds but am still very much diabetic.

Reactions: muck and Dura

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Blossy, A big Hello from Byron bay, welcome to BF, this is were the Knowledge is, and all the best support. Read lots.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Blossy! Just wanted to say 'hi' and welcome you. We're here to help and it sounds like you are doing well. Just remember as my cousin says "if it's white, it ain't right' and that'll cut out a bunch of the carbs!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the welcome jwags, Dura & Patdart.

I have been reading some posts where people have mentioned they eat Low carb & High fat meals. My Dietitian told me to eat low fat, low carb, medium amounts of protein & lots of fibre. Perhaps I need to experiment a little more to get things right :)

jwags you're right I shouldn't let the fact I am on meds mean I am a failure. I was just disappointed that I wasn't at least given a few weeks to have a go at managing things without them. I totally understand that I am on them because my Oral Glucose Test was so high after the 1 & 2 hour marks (they were 15.0 & 12.0)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Heck no, you are not a failure! And, your thought about eating LC/HF will get you where you are going...or, it did for me and many others. It's my body and it loves eating this way. I've lost 50 lbs doing it and now don't crave carbs anymore. Give it a shot, it's more likely to help you than what your dietician told you!

Then it may or may not let you off drugs for a while, or maybe even ever.

Good luck,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Patdart. I think I will give it a go :) at least for a little while just to see what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts