The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a 36 year old type 1 diabetic and have been for 26 years. I was diagnosed at age 10. At age 12 I had a severe peptic ulcer and went into a diabetic coma with a bg of 2640 yes you are reading correctly 2640. I was rushed to LeBonheur's Children Hospital and stay there for 10 days (in coma 5 days) All the dr's thought I would have brain damage but thank God I didn't. Currently I'm taking humulin 70/30. I was wondering if any of you have had problems with tendinitis? I have it in my wrists. It took dr.'s a couple of years to figure out what was causing all my arm pain. They keep blaming it on my diabetes, but I finally found a great rheumatologist who diagnosed me with tendinitis and gave me 3 rounds of cortisone (steroid) shots and it helped for a couple of years, but know it is back and worse than ever. There are nodules forming all around my wrists and it hurts very badly. Well guess what, that dr. has left town along with most of the other rheumatologist and there is a 3 month wait just to get a call back to set up an appointment. If anyone has any ideas on how to get some relief I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and can't wait to become friends with you all :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: from me ! I can't help much with the Rheumatoid issues, hopefully others have some advice.

Just saying Hi! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, AprilRenee . . . I'm no help with your problem either, but I sure hope you can get hold of your medical records to present to a new doc. Sometimes these guys can be so stubborn about taking a different doc's word for it! Was there any success in finding what causes the tendonitis? Is it a repetitive stress injury?

Stay in touch - we're looking forward to getting better acquainted too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Shanny, no idea on what caused the tendinitis, no repetitive injury or anything. Just one of those things I guess.
Hi Froggy, thanks for that info, I will ask my doctor about that. It seems so hard to find a doctor that is very interested in really helping. They all just want to give me pain medicine and nothing seems to help. Plus I hate taking medicine, it makes me feel funny, like I'm in a fog :-(

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
How is your A1c. I have heard high BG's may increase tendinitis? Not for sure where I read it though!

Also -- how is your thyroid function? Hypothyroidism seemed to aggravate connective tissue problems for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A1c is a little high right now (7.5) but is usually around 6 or 6.5. I think my bg is running high from the inflammation and the pain I'm in. I was actually on the pump and had pretty good control when first diagnosed with tendinitis, but it could be from my past high bg. I have really struggled with that over the years. My thyroid is good, thank God.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello April, it is nice to meet you! I have been type 1 for 66 years, and am doing very well. I was diagnosed with tendinitis about 20 years ago. It was in a shoulder. I saw another doctor who told me I had a frozen shoulder, and he prescribed physical therapy. After almost a year of the therapy I had full movement of the shoulder again, and no more pain. Several years later I went through the same thing with the other shoulder. Diabetics are more likely to have frozen shoulders, and that may be true about tendinitis as well. I'm not sure, but I am thinking that tendinitis is what caused the frozen shoulders, it has been a long time. If that is true then physical therapy was the answer for me.

Richard

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Richard, I have been to PT too, actually 3 different ones, also they have sent me to occupational therapy and nothing helps. I also have shoulder pain and over the last month have started having elbow pain. I think it is from my wrists because it started after my wrist pain came back. I have knots in my left palm and the doctor said he had never seen that in anyone under 50. Hopefully they can figure it out soon. It is nice to meet you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts