The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Debbie, I'm 52 year old from Plymouth UK. I was diagnosed type 2 in 2003, treated with tablets for 4 years then put on Novorapid & Levemir in 2007( 60 units of Levemir at bed time, 10 units Novorapid at breakfast, 20 at lunch and 30 at tea time) my control was poor with HbA1c around 11 until recently when I managed to get it down to 7.4. I have Bipolar too and find it difficult to care for myself when my moods are low.:)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey congrats on getting your HbA1C down. You have still some way to go but you are on the right track.

When your moods are low do you turn to food for comfort. There are many foods you can use as comfort food with effecting your BGs. How have you been managing on the diet ? We find low carbing with high fat is the way that works best for many of us.

Tony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey congrats on getting your HbA1C down. You have still some way to go but you are on the right track.

When your moods are low do you turn to food for comfort. There are many foods you can use as comfort food with effecting your BGs. How have you been managing on the diet ? We find low carbing with high fat is the way that works best for many of us.

Tony
Hi Tony, I don't comfort eat when my mood is low I just don't bother with my insulin or Metformin, I'm my own worst enemy at those times, luckily I have been stable for quite some time and have been looking after myself. I don't count carbs as such but I have cut down on potatoes, pasta and bread by quite a lot which in turn has meant I have been able to reduce my insulin and has helped me to lose weight, I have lost 24 kilos over the last 2years and only have to lose 6 kilos now so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for your message Tony :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hello, my name is Debbie, I'm 52 year old from Plymouth UK. I was diagnosed type 2 in 2003, treated with tablets for 4 years then put on Novorapid & Levemir in 2007( 60 units of Levemir at bed time, 10 units Novorapid at breakfast, 20 at lunch and 30 at tea time) my control was poor with HbA1c around 11 until recently when I managed to get it down to 7.4. I have Bipolar too and find it difficult to care for myself when my moods are low.:)
Welcome to the forum and also Congratulations on making the improvements to your A1C and for your weight. I apologize that I don't know how to convert kilos to pounds, but it is good you were able to lose :)

I am type 1 and I do find myself 'comfort eating' (which is probably why I'm overweight). Do take a look at the recipe section here. You might find something that will appeal to you. Having bipolar is hard. I have several friends with that condition. One of them is particularly affected when it is the Winter season.

Reactions: Gold-Dont-Rust
1 - 5 of 5 Posts