The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. I am Adele and found out on 16th Feb that have type 1 after going into DKA. I am 31 years of age (which i know is a strange age to have found out about this). I am wondering however, i seem to be eating more "bad" foods now than i was before. I am not allowed to eat as much fruit and because i exercise quite a lot (dog walking and hopefully start my gym training again soon) end up with quite low numbers about 2 hours before a meal is due. Is this just the honeymoon period I heard about? Or, if not does anyone please know of alternative things i could try to keep the sugar levels up without feeling bloated and stuffed full of "snacks" all the time. i hope everyone is well and am very glad to have found this site. i am a little red faced whilst typing this as i havent really acknowledged it properly yet, if that makes sense. so any information (just try not to give me nightmares please LOL) would be greatly receieved and appreciated.
Take care everyone and nice to meet you :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
hello everyone. I am Adele and found out on 16th Feb that have type 1 after going into DKA. I am 31 years of age (which i know is a strange age to have found out about this). I am wondering however, i seem to be eating more "bad" foods now than i was before.
There are bad foods and BAD foods

I am not allowed to eat as much fruit and because i exercise quite a lot (dog walking and hopefully start my gym training again soon) end up with quite low numbers about 2 hours before a meal is due. Is this just the honeymoon period I heard about? Or, if not does anyone please know of alternative things i could try to keep the sugar levels up without feeling bloated and stuffed full of "snacks" all the time.

Did you mean you ARE allowed to eat all the fruit you want?

Hears the thing
Carbs raise BGL, different foods have different carbs some raise BGL fast, some slow. Some raise BGL A lot others not so much.
Insulin allows the body to use the sugar the carbs make.
Some insulin works fast, some work slow.

The trick is to match all this together to keep your BGL level and in check.:D
You need to Test, test , test to see what foods do what when:eek:
SO
your tools

Pills and or insulin:D
lowers BGL (blood glucose levels)
exercise:D
Lowers BGL
Food:D (I like food)
carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL:(
especially bad carbs, almost anything white. white bread, potato, rice, sugar and worst of all Honey (eating a potato is worse than eating sugar as far as BGL goes.) :mad:
Protein, fiber and fat slows the affects of carbs.:D

Read the labels on food packages
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

Remember test,test,test

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Adele! What a lovely name!

Sorry to hear you've joined the diabetes club, but am surely happy you found our forum! We all have gained a lot from sharing our experiences here, and the methods we've found successful in our battle to tame the diabetes "beast".

If you feel strange having developed this at age 31, imagine my shock at age 64! Never too old, I guess, eh? ;)

Please make yourself at home here; ask all the questions you have, make any comments, rant & rave if you need to let off steam . . . we all know where you're coming from, and that's what's so great about it - having people to talk to who truly understand what you're dealing with.

take care & come back often!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I try eating some sort of slow digesting carbs when I know I am going to be active. The fast acting carbs that I tend to grab for a "rescue snack" bring my BG up but it never lasts and I was crashing after exercise. That helped me out at least. As always...test test test to see what works for you!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Adele, welcome! I was diagnosed when I was 6 and I have read of people in their 80's being diagnosed with Type 1. Type 1 can be diagnosed at any age. If you are eating to avoid low blood sugar and it makes you feel stuffed, then you can use some glucose tablets. They will raise your blood sugar very quickly. I don't know what they are called in the UK but the druggist should know what you are wanting. It is quite possible you are experiencing a honeymoon period. It certainly seems that way. Are you taking any medication or insulin at all that could be causing the lows?

I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. When you adjust to insulin in the months ahead and establish good control, you can have a long, healthy life.

Ask all the questions you want.

Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where do i reply from? :) the nurse told me not to eat as much fruit as i used to as fructose (I think) changes to glucose in the blood.so if i want an apple i have to make it into 4 jelly portions or something. Bananas are OK but watch out for potassium?! she said that any sweet fruits i need to keep an eye on. only 10% of my pancreas is working apparently, am on Novorapid 4-4-6 then lantus 14 at bedtime. will try the glucose tablets - thanks, or maybe lucozade do you think? I hope i have replied to the right part and thanks again to everyone:)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
where do i reply from? :) the nurse told me not to eat as much fruit as i used to as fructose (I think) changes to glucose in the blood.so if i want an apple i have to make it into 4 jelly portions or something. Bananas are OK but watch out for potassium?! she said that any sweet fruits i need to keep an eye on. only 10% of my pancreas is working apparently, am on Novorapid 4-4-6 then lantus 14 at bedtime. will try the glucose tablets - thanks, or maybe lucozade do you think? I hope i have replied to the right part and thanks again to everyone:)
You do need to be careful with some fresh fruits and not eat too many of them. However, the average size banana actually does have more carbs per serving than a regular small sized apple. You need to pay attention to sugar content...but more important than that is the *total* carbohydrate content. Carbs turn into sugar almost as soon as you eat them. Some more complex carbs digest more slowly thereby increasing your blood sugar at a slower rate rather than a fast spike. Your body needs carbs to function....your cells need glucose for energy. Most diabetics are able to control their blood sugar better by restricting carbs and making better choices in the carbs they do eat. For diabetics the more complex carbs are usually better because they do not spike us as high as quickly. There are carbs I am sure in a lot of things that you wouldn't think. For instance...those plain baked potaoes that we hav always been taught are a "healthy" food choice alternative to other more fattening things are very high in carbs and break down very quickly into sugar. You might as well be eating a plate of cake icing :) If you have access to carb counter book I would suggest getting one. Calorie King has a great one for only 9 dollars. I carry everywhere, its like my "food bible". If not there are several web sites that have carb counts for many foods, including restaurants and fast food places. Same for when you go grocery shopping. Become a label reader. Always look under the *total carbohydrate* count per serving so you know exactly what you are eating. (not just the sugar carbs)

Feel free to ask anything you like....we are all here for each other :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone

Morning all, just a quick note to say thanks for all the advice and making me feel so welcome. I got some "Dextro energy" available in orange, lemon AND blackcurrant yesterday so will be having one of those in about 45 mins instead of having a biscuit - so thank you loads for the advice.

I dont have the internet at home (apart from my mobile phone version) so wont be able to pop in over the long (bliss) weekend. So everyone take care and have a wonderful Easter weekend. Am loving this forum. speak soon and thanks again:) Adele

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Dextro-energy If I read the web site correct is mostly dextrose THAT IS SUGAR by a different name. If you suppose to cut down on fruit because of the "sweetens" of it Dextro-Energy is NOT the way to do it.

From there web site
"Dextrose goes straight into the bloodstream and is therefore the “fastest carbohydrate”! It is identical to the body’s own blood sugar "

You are going to get one BIG spike from this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not quite. at 10:10 reading 2.6 - had one dextro - by 10:30am was 5.3. Checked before lunch at 12:30 and was back down toi 4.3. However when i tried the same with a pink lady apple went up by 9 to nearly 15 and that was checking 2 hours later. chemist agreed this would be ideal too. very pleased with the result as dont go off the scale and dont feel stuffed - actually looked forward to lunch today wohoooo:)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You got the Idea, test, test,test see how foods work for you. I know a banana will rais my BGL by over 3.7 (65 in the US)

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts