The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!! My name is Irvette. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2000 at the age of 19 (kinda crazy, huh?). It has been pretty uncontrolled and my goal is to control this disease and not have it control me. I welcome any advice that will help me control this. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Irvy. The biggest strength you have in controlling this disorder is making up your mind once and for all. Once you decide it is necessary (and it IS necessary if you wish to avoid VERY serious complications in the future), the frequent testing, dietary restrictions, careful monitoring of your meds, all become tools at your disposal for combating the disease.

Tell us more about yourself and how you manage . . . do you take insulin? What kind of diet do you eat? What is your exercise regimen? There is great support here, and whatever questions you have, ask away. We're here for you!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello everyone!!! My name is Irvette. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2000 at the age of 19 (kinda crazy, huh?). It has been pretty uncontrolled and my goal is to control this disease and not have it control me. I welcome any advice that will help me control this. Thanks guys!
Hello and :welcome:! Come on in and sit down and get comfortable :couch2:. You are the only one who can make the decision to take control of this disease. Since you are so young, you have plenty of time to get with the program and get your blood glucose under control. What type of A1C's do you have? What kind of medications are you on? I hope that you have time to visit often and take care.

O

·
0 Posts
Welcome Irvy :) let us know what you are currently doing to control your type 2. I'm type 2 also and was diagnosed as a 25yo and that was 12 years ago. Back then it was strange to find someone young with type 2, but nowdays they are discovering it is more prevalent in our societies. I started out with diet & exercise, then was put on a tonne of oral meds which pretty much didn't work on me for quite a few years before they discovered via C-peptide & GAD test that my pancreas doesn't produce enough of its own insulin anymore and I need to be on insulin fulltime. I'm not sure where you are at? But if you're still at diet & exercise stage or just oral meds.... please do all you can to prolong any complications or progression of diabetes. I have always been told diabetes is progressive... and I've noticed that in my own body... but it's a case of keeping on doing our best that we know to do. I hope you have a good medical team behind you. Make sure you get regular HbA1c tests done and if you haven't had a recent C-peptide and GAD... get that done too to check state of your pancreas beta cells. I had to get pushy to get mine done a year ago... I wasn't prepared to carry on taking oral meds when they clearly were not working. Looking forward to hearing your experiences, etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi irvy welcome to the site. what's your biggest issue w/ keeping your #s in check?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi, and :welcome: from me! Glad to have you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts