The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the newer meters such as the GlucoWatch or the Guardian?

I don't mind the poking with my current meters I'm just thinking down the line it would save me some $$ since I wouldn't have to buy anymore strips.

Are they accurate/worth buying?

Thanks

Jen

·
Registered
97 Posts
sorry i cannot help as i have the contour USB meter and my test strips are covered by my government here in BC Canada

·
Registered
297 Posts
Has anyone used the newer meters such as the GlucoWatch or the Guardian?

I don't mind the poking with my current meters I'm just thinking down the line it would save me some $$ since I wouldn't have to buy anymore strips.

Are they accurate/worth buying?

Thanks

Jen
I don't see any money savings with the GlucoWatch - please read this - GlucoWatch G2 Biographer - P990026/S0008

I could not find any reliable information on the Guardian.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
sorry i cannot help as i have the contour USB meter and my test strips are covered by my government here in BC Canada
BC pays for strips? Wow, I gotta pay for my own under Alberta Health Care...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobertIA said:
I don't see any money savings with the GlucoWatch - please read this - GlucoWatch G2 Biographer - P990026/S0008

I could not find any reliable information on the Guardian.
Thank you for the link. The articles I read earlier today mentioned that aside from some complaints of skin irritation that the device was pretty decent and accurate. I wasn't aware you had to use it in conjunction with a meter. Good to know thank you for sharing. :eek:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
beefy said:
BC pays for strips? Wow, I gotta pay for my own under Alberta Health Care...
Fully covered would be nice. I have Humana n it doesn't cover jack S! Lol pardon my French, just angers me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have heard these are quite expensive and reliability is a problem. Plus I have never seen them for sale anywhere. It is hard to find info on them but I think you still need to do finger pricks to verify numbers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes. You have to calibrate them with a finger prick every now and then.

They also have the Dexcom 7 which can be worn for up to 7 days.

It's pretty cool actually and the future generation pumps will be working with them.

As far as money is concerned, however, they are not cheaper than the meters with strips/cassettes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
julian said:
Yes. You have to calibrate them with a finger prick every now and then.

They also have the Dexcom 7 which can be worn for up to 7 days.

It's pretty cool actually and the future generation pumps will be working with them.

As far as money is concerned, however, they are not cheaper than the meters with strips/cassettes.
Thank Julian. I know they are a pretty penny but the only reason I said worth it in the long run is because I thought they could take the place of my meter. With all the feedback I've gotten it just doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Don't these watches have sensors that have to be replaces and recalibrated every few days. I know sensors can be pricier than strips.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jwags said:
Don't these watches have sensors that have to be replaces and recalibrated every few days. I know sensors can be pricier than strips.
Not sure I was just looking into it. I know it has to be recalibrated but I don't know how often the sensor has to be replaced if at all. Most of the feedback on this hasn't been very good. I'm just gonna stick w the meter until hopefully something better comes along. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts