The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm telling you, I just don't get it....

Oatmeal and Apple Muffins - American Diabetes Association

1/4 cup egg substitute
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 cup raisins
1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 cup natural unsweetened applesauce

Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 28 g
2/3 cup rolled oats
4 Tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
LOL (except it's not funny) - 44 carbs for 1 muffin. Then they say in smaller print that it might not be good for all diabetics.

How shockingly typical of them.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
44 carbs in one muffin:eek:
If I`m going to eat something like that, I have to just take a little nip for each meal and dont eat any other carbs.
I guess I would have to use 3 days to finish the muffin, but I would not have any vegetables egg or any dairy products those days.
No thank you! I prefer to eat as I do.

·
Registered
916 Posts
you know I see this type of recipes on so many diabetes forums.

Like Dlife for another one. I gasp when I see the ingrediants :eek:

If I ate like my Doc says or some of this so called diabetes food, I would be dead from a high. :target:

the raisin & apple would do me in.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I was first dx'd and pretty dumb about diabetes I would look at those recipes and think WOW this isn't so bad, I can still eat tons of carbs. NOT!!!!
I even bought a bunch of Diabetic cookbooks that had similar recipes. They are sitting on my bookcase but I need to give them away. Maybe I'll send them to the ADA. I know so many diabetics who have trouble with their weight. Well if they eat like the ADA wants them to eat, no wonder. I think what really burns me is that I get newsletters from my insurance company with similar recipes. You would think if anyone your insurance company would want to keep you healthy. I make muffins all the time with almond meal, flaxseed, coconut oil and real butter. I think they have less than 5 carbs a muffin.

Reactions: optimist and foxl

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
The low-fat madness about heart disease, is what keeps the ADA telling us to eat carbs. Otherwise, what would we eat for calories?

This is so ingrained that it has taken being metaphorically knocked upside the head repeatedly for me to let go of it and start to appreciate and savor fat again. Well, it =was= rather like a bicycle ;)

Reactions: optimist and foxl

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Maybe it's an ADA recommendation for treating hypoglycemia? Yeah, that's it!

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Maybe this is the ADA's answer to the Healthcare problems in the US. Stuff us full of 45 carb muffins and we will all die sooner. Voila, we won't need medical care anymore or Social Security or Medicare.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Dlife and the ADA are geared towards T1s.. just take a shot of insulin and you can eat it. Else I think we should charge them with aiding and abetting murder for us T2s.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I got cookbooks from them in the mail today and threw them in the trash. I suppose if I only ate one thing for a meal and only 1/3 of a serving I could eat what they wanted me to cook. I am in awe every time I read a recipe they suggest.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I'm telling you, I just don't get it....

Oatmeal and Apple Muffins - American Diabetes Association

1/4 cup egg substitute
2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 cup raisins
1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 cup natural unsweetened applesauce

Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 28 g
2/3 cup rolled oats
4 Tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
:eek: That would be enough GLUCOSE to send me into a BINGE in the days before I started the LC/HF diet.

I wonder how many Diabetes would just stop at one muffin?

Geez... I guess that's what you call job security for them.:eek:

·
Banned
158 Posts
Dlife and the ADA are geared towards T1s.. just take a shot of insulin and you can eat it. Else I think we should charge them with aiding and abetting murder for us T2s.
Yup, if a T2 took Insulin with that muffin, we would gain a LOT of weight - very fast.

Reactions: Carolina
1 - 20 of 20 Posts