The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...nice to find a forum for us all......I am actually a parent of a newly diagnosed type1 diabetic....My little mans name is Billy and hes 4....wow..what a rollercoaster

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sorry your little guy has diabetes. There are a number of people on the forum who have lived a long time with this disease and have remained quite healthy. If you would like more information, try reading at BloodSugar101.com. It has a lot of helpful hints. Welcome to the forum and hope you will visit often.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It is good to have you here although I am very sorry about the reason. I hope you come around often as controlling his diabetes is going to be important as he grows up. This is a great place to vent, ask questions or just to seek support. Keep your head up. You'll get through this.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Ronelle, I have spoken to you on another website. I hope you and Billy are doing well!

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there
My daughter who's 4 got diagnosed this July whilst we were on holiday. It was one hell of a shock. We didn't believe it and had never known anyone with diabetes so were both clueless.

3 months later we have come to terms with it and life is almost back to normal. Here are some things that worked for us.

1. Carb counting is a hassle at first but if you're really organised becomes second nature.
2. Buy some nice scales, a big calculator and a diary to record carbs at every meal. Buy a nice box to put them all in and leave in the kitchen.
3. We're in the UK and have a great book called 'carbs and cals' which is our bible for calculating carbs. This is also available as an app on i-phone. Where possible however use the carb tables on most packaged foods. They work.

Hang on in there it gets better. Our daughter has completely accepted having 'the diabetes' as she says and we had our first HbA1C reading this week at 7.9 (UK measure = 140 in US measures), which is great.

Your life will change, but if you are organised and listen to your health professionals it's nowhere near as bad as it seems at first. in fact sometimes keeping her levels balances makes us feel good.

We're going on a pump course next month and having been on first day last week they look amazing.

Wish you the very best of luck.

Chin up!

Soxxa & Tony

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you, Soxxa, for a wonderfully positive post. It's good to hear a pump is in the offing too - control can be might tighter with a pump.

Welcome to DF - keep us posted on how things are going! :wave:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Richard has mentioned a good list for parents of a diabetic child, but my memory is weak, so maybe he'll tell you about it. Sounds like you are being positive and that can only be good for your child and both of you.

Good luck,

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Soxxa, an A1c of 7.9 is rather high but not so bad for a child who is still in the beginning stages. There is a website especially created for the parents of diabetic children. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. With you as her caretaker, your daughter will be off to a good start. If she takes good care of herself, she can have a long, healthy life!

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey soxxa...matey it sounds like ur doing great...our first test was done at 6 weeks diagnosed as we were half way thru the clinics cycle....they were expecting to be happy with anything under 12 being newly diagnosed and the ideal was under 7-5....my freakin billy was 7-2 and they were totally wrapt...i think we r lucky in that at 4 years old...they eat what we give them (after tirelessly counting every flippin thing)....but lets hope its stays this easy for us...hopefully our babies are young enuff to just grow into it hey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like the age I got diabetes. It's tougher for the parents to deal with it. Maybe get started on carb counting so he won't have to give up his favorite foods

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I use the food search on calorieking.com for my carb counting which was recommended to me by my dietician. There is an app for that for that on the iphone. I am also tracking BS with the glucose buddy app.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts