The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my name is Jason and I am in Louisiana in the USA. I am 43 and have a type 1 daughter, and a father and brother both type 1. Presently I am type 2, as both my father and brother were initially before developing into type 1's. Look forward to connecting with some men in their 40's who are dealing with this. True we have been living with type 1 for a while in my family, but . . . it would be great to be able to ask some questions . . . outside of family.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! I also live in LA. Could it be you are a Type 1? There's a test for that...I think it is a c-peptide, but someone will know for sure.

I suggest that because the rules are a bit different, I think.

In any case, ask away on any issue you please. Lots of knowledge here and really NICE people to help.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Type 1 and type 2 are totally separate diseases. One doesn't develop into the other. A type 1 usually produces antibodies which attack their pancreas. Type 2's are usually insulin resistant so our cells don't recognise our insulin but we still make it in the beginning. Eventually with many type 2's, their beta cells do die off making us insulin dependent. If you have a family history you may be what we call LADA or Type 1.5 ( slow onset type 1). Ask your doctor for a C Peptide test and a GAD antibody test. If you test positive for antibodies you are probably LADA and will need insulin fairly soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it was definitely Type 2. My doctor in Baton Rouge did all the appropriate tests. My struggle is I have a nutritionist that wants me to have a certain amount of caloric intake and no more than 166 grams of carbs and it's like a scale that either tilts to one side or the other, and am unable to get both where she wants them. Frustrating.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am now 72. I average 130 carbs per day to avoid weight gain. Insulin has kept me alive and healthy for almost 66 years. If you were initially diagnosed as type 2, then you have insulin resistance. You will always be type 2, even if you do become insulin dependent.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No, it was definitely Type 2. My doctor in Baton Rouge did all the appropriate tests. My struggle is I have a nutritionist that wants me to have a certain amount of caloric intake and no more than 166 grams of carbs and it's like a scale that either tilts to one side or the other, and am unable to get both where she wants them. Frustrating.
The easiest solution to this, and the one most of us have had to use, is to stop listening to the nutritionist. She is prescribing way too many carbs for your health, and she's prevented from recommending anything else because her job prob'ly depends on her following the ADA party line. ADA is heavily funded by agricultural interests in this country, and of course they prefer that the populace eat more grain, potatoes, rice, etc.

Just nod your head & smile when she tells you what to eat, and then go home & eat what your meter allows you to eat. If you need more calories in your diet, add fats like butter, mayonnaise, cream & sour cream, cream cheese, etc. And don't buy any low-fat products either - use the full-fat versions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shanny said:
The easiest solution to this, and the one most of us have had to use, is to stop listening to the nutritionist. She is prescribing way too many carbs for your health, and she's prevented from recommending anything else because her job prob'ly depends on her following the ADA party line. ADA is heavily funded by agricultural interests in this country, and of course they prefer that the populace eat more grain, potatoes, rice, etc.

Just nod your head & smile when she tells you what to eat, and then go home & eat what your meter allows you to eat. If you need more calories in your diet, add fats like butter, mayonnaise, cream & sour cream, cream cheese, etc. And don't buy any low-fat products either - use the full-fat versions.
Well after four weeks of this I agree with what you said. I am focusing more on carb than calorie, and it's been great! Dropped quite bit of weight and glucose levels have been amazing! I have/am very picky about what I eat, and still mess up some but mostly it's going great!
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts