The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I was diagnosed with type 2 a couple of days ago, I was tested 8 months ago and given the all clear.

I am worried because my readings are so high.

first 24, then after fast 19

I took my first metformin tablet last night.(500mg)
This morning I had pins and needles in a few fingers, I still have this but it has faded quite a lot over the day.

I have not yet seen a doctor only a nurse.

My doctors appointment is on Tuesday.

I bought a test kit earlier today and my results were 15.8 and 21.4 after a ham sandwich.

Looking on the internet I can't find anyone with such high readings and this concerns me.

I suppose Tuesday is pretty quick to see a doctor but it feels like an age to me.

Best wishes
Brendan

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sounds like it came on fast & furious if your numbers were normal only eight months ago. What a rude awakening!

You can take firm measures to head off the high numbers even while you wait for Tuesday to inch its way here . . . just eat the filling of that ham sandwich and scrap the bread. And scrap all the other "white" foods like pasta, potatoes, rice & rolls. It's the carbohydrate that elevates your levels so high, and yeah - they ARE high.

Metformin begins to work, of course, but it takes time for it to reach maximum blood levels, and you won't prob'ly notice any immediate reaction to it. Metformin builds up in your system and you maintain those optimal blood levels by continuing to take your doses regularly, but it isn't like taking an aspirin for a headache - it doesn't instantly drop your BG at the time you take it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, they may not be orbiting the moon yet, but . . . :D :D :D Those 20-something numbers are really not good. Most of us strive to stay under 7.7, which is the jumping off point for organ damage.

The metformin does a good job for most patients - it just needs 3-4 weeks to gain maximum efficiency. What you might do is eliminate carbs between now and Tuesday, just to see what your tests run when you go back to the doc. If you show a marked reduction, then adjustments to your diet might be all that's needed in addition to the metformin right now. If going very low-carb doesn't drop them enough, there are plenty of options - other oral meds and of course, insulin.

For right now, the part that is entirely within your control is your carb intake. Reduce that and see what happens. Build your meals around meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, olives, leafy greens & other high-fiber vegetables. Don't be afraid to use butter, mayonnaise, cream and sour cream. These fats help slow the absorption of what few carbs you get from the vegetables, and they also help you feel full, so you don't go around hungry all the time.

Eliminate all the sweets, cereals, breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. from your meals and I think you'll see a nice drop in your levels. Grains of all kinds are often serious offenders, so even if it says whole grain or multi-grain, don't trust it!

And keep asking questions - that's what we're here for!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Shanny gave good advice.

ALL carbs raise BG

Fats,fiber slow the absorption of carbs

protein slows the absorption of carbs and your body slowly converts protein to BG.

exercise lowers BG, strenuous exercise can raise BG.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum, Brendan. Can't say we're glad to have you - we wish you (and anybody else, like ourselves!) didn't have this health issue. But since you do, we are glad you found your way here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the welcome Cathy :)

I am a bit chuffed at the moment because i just ahd my lowest reading of 8.3

This is after having ribeye steak with rocket and olives for my Dinner and my third day on Metformin

14 is my next lowest so quite a drop.

I really do want to thank you guys, the help given has really helped me through these first few days.

Best wishes
Brendan

·
Registered
204 Posts
........................I am a bit chuffed at the moment because i just ahd my lowest reading of 8.3

This is after having ribeye steak with rocket and olives for my Dinner and my third day on Metformin.......................
Hi Brendan,

The reason being that there is very little carbohydrate in that meal?

Keep on going - the reduction in blood glucose comes quickly when you reduce the carbohydrate that you eat.

John

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Very nice drop, Brendan! And did the steak & salad fill you up . . . did you feel pleased/satisfied with what you had for dinner? Cutting carbs isn't half bad, eh?! Keep on keepin' on! :D

Thank you for the welcome Cathy :)

I am a bit chuffed at the moment because i just ahd my lowest reading of 8.3

This is after having ribeye steak with rocket and olives for my Dinner and my third day on Metformin

14 is my next lowest so quite a drop.

I really do want to thank you guys, the help given has really helped me through these first few days.

Best wishes
Brendan

·
Banned
11 Posts
Re:

You play a major role in managing your diabetes. The more you know about your disease, the better you can care for yourself.

For the best chance at a long, healthy life, you need to set goals for your treatment, including:

* Making healthy food choices.
* Being active.
* Testing your blood sugar levels.
* Keeping high blood pressure and high cholesterol under control.
* Taking medicines, such as metformin (Glucophage) or insulin, if you need them.
* Not smoking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Brendan

I'm new to all this too, but I've found such a wealth of information here and an answer to every question, no matter how small. The friendship and support people offer here is refreshingly genuine.

As everyone has said the food you eat will make or break this for you. Testing after meals to find out what raises your BG the most will take a bit of time but you will have more control over this as a result.
I have found though that regular exercise is the next biggest factor in reducing those BG levels. Gentle and often is all you need. It is like opening the door to let the insulin get at the glucose in your blood.

I notice a drop of at around 1 - 1.5 for the 24hrs following a run. It does go up for a short while straight after a hard run but eating protein with NO CARBS immediately after brings it down quickly.

NO CARBS is a theme you will quickly get used to and to be honest, as a serious bread and pie lover I thought it would be hard going. But the way I feel after eating reduced carbs is so good compared to that quick pastry fix it's just not worth it.

Good luck.

Matt

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Brendan - Listen to Matt - he's found the way go very quickly indeed. It took me eight years of damaging my body before I got the message!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi Brendan,

Like Matt I'm a new boy too. My introduction was fairly dramatic - I collapsed with a nasty kidney infection and was just short of a DKA coma in mid August.

When I got home, the wife tore up the French diet guidance and put me on a reduced carb diet. I've dropped about 7 kg off my weight and this month my blood sugar has averaged around 90 mg/DL (about 5 mm/L) - just about normal for a non-diabetic. Low carb really works - and the folks on this forum will give you lots of good advice - listen to them!

Good luck,

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts