The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic(wow, I don't like writing that!) I am 29yrs old male and have not eaten well most of my life. Wondering if there are resources for a diet plan/recepies that others reference. We have been big on eating out, so outside of a salad each time I frequent a restaurant, is there some options that I can turn to?

Thank you all in advance!

Chris

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome Chris:

If you haven't seen a Dietician yet, I strongly advise that you see one. Your Dr. should have introduced you to her/him or at least made an appointment for you. Your Dr., the Dietician and you will all have to work together to create a meal plan for you, depending on your size and your normal blood sugar levels.

Normally, the Diabetes Associations recommends 45 grams of carbohydrates for each meal plus 15 grams for a mid-morning snack and afternoon snack. If you do not already, then you will need to learn how to count carbs. Your Dietician can also help you with this. They will give you booklets with info and a book that tell how many carbs that are in the common foods that People eat.

Many Diabetics are using the low carbohydrate diet by Dr. Bernstein(He has a low carb diet book, a Diabetes control book and website) which works Well for many of them to keep their sugars under control and to lose weight. Some think it is too strict so they eat about 10 or 20 more grams of carbs than he suggests a day, which seems to work fine for these particular People.

There is a lot of info on this Forum about carbohydrates, foods to eat and NOT eat(or just small portions), some meal plans and some recipes. There are also the American Diabetes Association( American Diabetes Association Home Page ), the Canadian Diabetes Association( Canadian Diabetes Association | Home ), Quebec Diabetes Association, Diabetes Australia and Diabetes UK sites, with even more info on these topics.

Also ask at the restaurant or check online to see if they offer a carb count of the foods that they serve. Ask your Dietician for a booklet of the carb counts of some restaurants/fastfood also. My Dietician gave me one.

Exercise, even 30 minutes a day by 4 times a week is Very helpful in uptaking the Insulin that your body is still secreting, into your cells. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Comments and posts are Welcomed.

It's Nice to meet you!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dropped my carbohydrate intake to 80 grams per day, considerably more than Dr Bernstein recommends, but considerably less than the 180 grams or so per day that is often recommended.

As a result I lost 35 lbs, and have gained great control of my glucose.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All!
I am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic(wow, I don't like writing that!) I am 29yrs old male and have not eaten well most of my life. Wondering if there are resources for a diet plan/recepies that others reference. We have been big on eating out, so outside of a salad each time I frequent a restaurant, is there some options that I can turn to?

Thank you all in advance!

Chris
I agree with seeing a dietitian. Ask your doctor for a referral. A great little book with a wealth of help in it for carb values is the calorie king. You can purchase this most anywhere and the web site is CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more

It list every food imagineable along with resturants and fast food places. There is even a section on diabetes in it. It is small so you can carry it with you. Good luck!

Ginny

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, a diabetic patient should be very much conscious about his diet, if overweight, then the situation may become worse, these days a self improving company Mark Patrick Media LLC specializing in Weight Management & Smoking Cessation is running various programs in order to make the people more fit.The programs are just incredible and a new way to get better health. I hope that you would love to know about this.You can get more info on Mark Patrick Hypnosis For Weight Loss and Stop Smoking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.