The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my wife is 59 and her A1c is now 7. Her doc has put her on 500 metformin. I have been trying to help her. I’ve read a lot about diabetes but am confused about what to eat. We’re on what I call the god diet ( what would god eat ). We only eat real food , try not to eat anything processed. She has gotten no direction from her doc. Don’t know if that’s normal? Could use some help.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Hi, Cheyenne! Welcome to our site.

A "real food" diet is a good start, but I'm guessing the list of okay items includes plenty of foods with lots of carbohydrates in them -- root vegetables, fruit, honey, etc. If your wife's doctor has put her on Metformin, he or she should have given her some idea of what to eat, or at least how much to eat, since 500mg of Met may not be enough to level out her blood sugar depending on what/how much your wife is eating.

Many of us here are managing our blood sugar largely through diet and exercise. For example, I'm on a low-carbohydrate eating plan and my A1c has been well below 6 for years. Others here do need Metformin or insulin or even some other diabetes medication because that's the stage their diabetes is at. But if the body takes in fewer grams of carbohydrates, it doesn't have to work so hard to control the insulin that manages the carbs, and that's a winning formula in living better with diabetes.

I'd like to suggest that your wife look at a low-carbohydrate or ketogenic eating plan. This sticky post, in another part of this site, describes such eating plans. It's definitely a change in the way most people eat and it's not the usual advice for eating given to diabetics. But more and more studies are showing that keeping glucose levels steady is key to avoiding the worst effects of diabetes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Cheyenne! Welcome to our site.

A "real food" diet is a good start, but I'm guessing the list of okay items includes plenty of foods with lots of carbohydrates in them -- root vegetables, fruit, honey, etc. If your wife's doctor has put her on Metformin, he or she should have given her some idea of what to eat, or at least how much to eat, since 500mg of Met may not be enough to level out her blood sugar depending on what/how much your wife is eating.

Many of us here are managing our blood sugar largely through diet and exercise. For example, I'm on a low-carbohydrate eating plan and my A1c has been well below 6 for years. Others here do need Metformin or insulin or even some other diabetes medication because that's the stage their diabetes is at. But if the body takes in fewer grams of carbohydrates, it doesn't have to work so hard to control the insulin that manages the carbs, and that's a winning formula in living better with diabetes.

I'd like to suggest that your wife look at a low-carbohydrate or ketogenic eating plan. This sticky post, in another part of this site, describes such eating plans. It's definitely a change in the way most people eat and it's not the usual advice for eating given to diabetics. But more and more studies are showing that keeping glucose levels steady is key to avoiding the worst effects of diabetes.
Thank You

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
Hi Cheyenne girl, welcome to the forum.

Not much guidance from the doctors should not be the norm, but it is the case far too often. This forum is loaded with info that can fill in the blanks.

Reactions: etherea
1 - 5 of 5 Posts