The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Katey and I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic. My journey with diabetes started in 2007 when I was pregnant with my first child and I developed gestational diabetes. After that pregnancy I went back to normal blood glucose values.

Fast forward to 2012 and my second pregnancy. Again I developed gestational diabetes but was not so lucky post-pregnancy.

After my diagnosis with type 2, I met with a "dietician" at my local hospital who handed me a standard meal plan loaded with refined carbs. I went home from the hospital with a meal plan and taking about 50 units of NPH insulin a day.

I was very unhappy. I was gaining weight even though I was doing everything the doctors and dietician told me to do. I started to investigate and research more about my condition and what I could do diet-wise.

I am on day three of Paleo eating. Today my fasting sugars were within normal range. I am starting to believe that low carb, high protein and high healthy fats is what is going to work for me.

I look forward to getting to know you and am open to any advice or comments!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Way to take the bull by the horns. Hows them kiddies doing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The kids are great, and so far show no signs of being diabetic, thank goodness. We will continue to have them monitored annually so that if they should develop diabetes we can nip it in the bud quickly!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Hi there and great job!

You noticed quickly what took me months to figure out.

Make sure you monitor things closely as your insulin needs may change as you cut carbs.

You've got a good plan in place so keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Katey
Just wanted to say :welcome: aboard. I don't know anything bout the trials/successes of insulin but there are many experts here who can help. Have you checked out the website http://bloodsugar101. Great info there for all of us.

Good to meet you.
Deb:canada:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, David. I've already noticed a massive decrease in my requirement for insulin, which is amazing. I am all getting off the insulin all together!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Katey and welcome aboard! Glad you found us and I admire the clever girl you are catching on so quickly about carbs being our nemesis! You are going to fit right in. Can you share more about your condition and how you are managing it on your new plan? Also, when you are comfortable feel free to share your numbers. We are a nosy group, but sounds like you are well on the way to being able to get off insulin in time.

Good for you,

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Katey said:
Thanks, David. I've already noticed a massive decrease in my requirement for insulin, which is amazing. I am all getting off the insulin all together!
When I was DX I was using 200-300u of insulin a day. Now, a year later, I'm 6 months off all meds. Hope it works as well for you!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, Katey and welcome aboard! Glad you found us and I admire the clever girl you are catching on so quickly about carbs being our nemesis! You are going to fit right in. Can you share more about your condition and how you are managing it on your new plan? Also, when you are comfortable feel free to share your numbers. We are a nosy group, but sounds like you are well on the way to being able to get off insulin in time.

Good for you,
You'll have to bear with me as I don't know all the lingo yet, but I'll tell you as much as I can!

Six weeks post-partum I went for a glucose tolerance test, which is the standard for gestational diabetics at my hospital. When I arrived, they did a fasting blood glucose which was 10.5/190. I wasn't shocked; I had been doing a little testing at home and knew I was running high, but had never had a fasting that high at home.

The following week I was seen by the same endocrinologist who followed me through my pregnancy. I also met with the dietician that day. I had such tight and excellent control through my pregnancy. At 36 weeks my HBA1C was 5.2! They sent me home with a prescription for NPH insulin and a meal plan "for busy moms" that included Kraft dinner, Arrowroot cookies, and lots of low fat dairy.

I didn't really follow their meal plan, but I was still eating too many carbs I now realize- lots of starchy veggies like squash and whole grains. I was gradually titrating my insulin doses up. At 40 units NPH at bedtime my fasting was still almost 8/145. I had also started to gain back some of the 20 pounds I had lost post partum.

I started cruising the web looking for something, anything that would help me. I knew what I was doing wasn't working but I didn't know how to fix it. I started to come across a lot of resources about adopting a Paleo diet for blood glucose control. In a nutshell, if you aren't familiar with the diet, it cuts out grains and dairy. No processed foods.

I started looking at Paleo websites and testimonials. I bought a cookbook called Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfillipo. The first section of the book outlines in layman's terms why the Paleo diet works for certain conditions. Then there is a 30 day meal plan tailored to your nutrition goals: there is one for those with autoimmune diseases, cancer recovery, fat loss, and blood glucose control.

I went cold turkey from refined carbs. Days one and two were rough: I was still taking the same amount of insulin. But I noticed an immediate improvement in my blood glucose values. Last night before bed my blood glucose was 5.2/95 and when I woke this morning it was 6.8/120. I haven't had a reading over 7/120 all day. I didn't take any NPH insulin before bed last night and just 10 units this morning.

This is all still very new for me, and Type II is a totally different ball of wax than gestational diabetes. But I just can't believe the improvement in three days. And it's quite shocking to me that health care practitioners are still recommending that diabetic eat so many carbs!

I am due to have a repeat HBA1C in January and every six months thereafter. I will be interested to see the change.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Welcome, and I hope you continue on this healthy path, as it seems like you already have a wealth of info to share with us.

Cheers from Greece!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Katey and Welcome to our Forum !!

I, too, think you did a fantastic job of figuring this out on your own.

I was diagnosed in September with a BG of 402 and A1C of 12.7. I will have my 3 month checkup in December. I am only on Metformin 500 mg 2x a day. My blood glucose has come down a lot, but I am still not getting numbers under 120 and I am trying hard to follow the LC/HF diet. Hopefully I will get those kind of numbers by then, but I find myself almost envying those who were put on insulin right away as they can get the numbers down so much more quickly.

I'm so glad you found us -- this is the place to be! I've really been impressed with the level of knowledge here, and how many have been successfully maintaining healthy blood glucose levels for months or even years. Very inspiring!

Gretchen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GretchenRS said:
Hi Katey and Welcome to our Forum !!

I, too, think you did a fantastic job of figuring this out on your own.

I was diagnosed in September with a BG of 402 and A1C of 12.7. I will have my 3 month checkup in December. I am only on Metformin 500 mg 2x a day. My blood glucose has come down a lot, but I am still not getting numbers under 120 and I am trying hard to follow the LC/HF diet. Hopefully I will get those kind of numbers by then, but I find myself almost envying those who were put on insulin right away as they can get the numbers down so much more quickly.

I'm so glad you found us -- this is the place to be! I've really been impressed with the level of knowledge here, and how many have been successfully maintaining healthy blood glucose levels for months or even years. Very inspiring!

Gretchen
Hi Gretchen, thanks for the warm welcome :)

I was given a choice between Metformin and insulin. As I had been using insulin through my pregnancy I was comfortable with it and with titrating my dose independently. Also because I am nursing I felt mpre comfortable with insulin for now. I may switch to Metformon when I am through nursing my son. I agree, insulin has given me much tighter and immediate results. Best of luck getting below 120 soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts