The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is a type I diabetic and he kept saying that the fatigue he noticed me exhibiting after meals was suspicious. I also began to notice a dry mouth feeilng. Anyway decided to go get it checked out on Friday and they took blood. Today they called and said I qualify as Type II diabetic. My average is 156. They want to try exercise and diet for three months.

I am a bit frustrated because when I asked them what to do they said watch carbs and walk. I asked them if they had any recommendations and they suggested South Beach Diet. I asked where my blood sugar should normally be and they said around 110.

Then I realized they didn't even mention test strips so I asked about that and they gave me a prescription for two strips a day.

Somehow I feel like I didn't get much information or help. Is this normal? I got the South Beach diet book on the way home and it looks like I would have to spend a lot of time cooking new stuff and shopping for new stuff at the store. Is this a normal approach?

Does anyone have any advice? I don't have a ton of time to spend cooking for every single meal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
First request and get copies of all lab results. Yes, you have a situation that is in need of improvement. Most insurance companies will only reimburse for 2 test strips per day. You need to talk to your insurance company and ask for more test strips. You also need to talk to your doctor and tell (not ask) the doctor you need more test strips. Will you get them? Maybe, but don't count on it. For a few months you will probably need to purchase (if you are able) additional strips on your own.

Ask the doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian specializing in diabetes for assistance in learning how to count carbs and meal planning.

Definitely learn how to count carbs and read food labels as this is important. Give diet and exercise a good trial, but if you continue to have problems, tell the doctor this. If you still get the lack of support, you may want to investigate other doctors (if there are any available).

If you husband sees an endocrinologist, see if you can get an appointment.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've done South Beach & Atkins both, and Atkins is easier. It's basically the low-carb/high-fat method that many of us are using - the difference being that we tweak it to our own preferences. So when Atkins says I should have a grilled salmon steak for supper and my budget says no way in hell, then we have canned salmon, or catfish (another oily fish) or whatever we can afford.

The main thing is to eliminate fast-acting carbs such as bread, potatoes, pasta, sweets, and anything made with grains (rice, corn, wheat, oats, etc.). Get your carbs from high-fiber vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, celery, asparagus, artichoke hearts, avocados. I haven't mentioned any fruits, and there's a reason for that - most fruits have too much natural sugar to be good for diabetics.

Just let your meter be your guide. Test before you eat, and test again at 1 and 2 hour intervals after you eat. If any of these numbers is over 140 (7.7), that meal was a little too carby & you'll prob'ly want to limit or eliminate some of the carbier items.

Since time is of the essence, clear out all the carby foods in the house & keep safe foods handy all the time. Things like deviled eggs or just plain hard-cooked eggs (peeled and kept in the fridge in a jar of water, they'll keep a week); hot wings - as long as they're made with no breading; any kind of cheese is terrific & cream cheese can turn into some splendid spreads that are practically free foods; avocados must be the perfect diabetes food - they can be halved & just eat 'em with a spoon out of the shell - or they can mash up into fresh guacamole to-die-for! A coupla strips of cooked bacon can squelch the munchies in a flash & won't budge your blood sugar. Just fry up a few to keep in the fridge.

Get hold of a carb counter booklet or go online to sites like CalorieKing & you'll be off & running. Prowl our recipes board & you'll see we eat very well.

I'm sure sorry for why you came looking for us, but I'm mighty glad you found us! I think it would be good if your husband's endo could take you too.

Take care, visit often & thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!

I appreciate the advice. I kind of felt a bit frustrated about the lack of information. It felt like I had to drag all of it out of the nurse who didn't even mention when I should test or what sugar levels I should be going for or anything. Had I not had a type I husband I am not sure I would even have known to ask about that.

My husband is type I and I couldn't ever get him to tell me any specifics about what he should be eating (we've been married three years). His a1c is excellent but he eats most things anyone else might most of the time.

Now that I am diagnosed type II he said he won't mind if we change up what we eat. But again he doesn't really have any specifics. Part of me suspects that he should have already been eating different regardless of his excellent a1c since his cholesterol has been high.

I have a atkins book from when I tried it as a weight loss guide many many moons ago. I guess I need to drag that book out.

I suspect that I've had type II for awhile (6 years) but had masked it by losing 50 pounds and exercising regularly (just because I was tired of being heavy). As of the past year I've haven't been as diligent with the exercise or food and gained 5 pound.

I already lost two pounds since Friday because I don't know what to eat.

The nurse did say they would refer me to an endocrinologist if I preferred after I asked about some other issues I've noticed. I guess I should take them up on that one.

thanks for the replies. It is nice to talk to people who understand.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think you got better information than a lot of us got. Keeping bgs below 110 is a good idea and will give you an HbA1c in the 5's. I think it is great that your doctor suggested South Beach, that is fantastic. I don't think you have to follow any low carb diet word for word but you can combine several diets. Atkins, Protein Power and Dr Bernsteins diet are all good diets for diabetics. Basically what you want to do is make the base for each meal fat and protein. You should get your carbs from veggies, nuts and seeds not starches or grains. Many of us have found by eliminating cereals, breads, things made with wheat , potatoes, rice , pasta and most fruits except berries our bgs have come way down. I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen since I no longer buy processed food but when you see normal bgs and feel great it is worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You got better info than me...

I noticed that I have questions as I go along, and that doesn't help me when I have 10 minutes with a doctor. I am grateful for places like this.

Even if I don't have a question; I read the posts to learn.

Jere

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunate

Well it is unfortunate that more information is not provided by the primary care physicians given that they consider it to be a serious condition and success at controlling it is likely to come from having access to good information.

Also interestingly enough I bet that same PCP would also be annoyed if I come back in 3 months and have no improvement. Go figure.

You would likewise think that having a type I diabetic for a hubby would have prepared me, but not really. I really have no clue how he is keeping his a1c so good other than he occasionally says his sugar is too high to eat anything for awhile and occasionally skips dessert. He eats just about everything I eat!

Anyway, glad there are forums like this one!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome to the group you really didn't want to have to find. I found Atkins the easiest diet for me. I have both Protein Power by Eades and Bernstein here and like someone said, I mix 'em up and use ideas from all of them. I try to keep my carbs under 30 or so a day, and keep only good, safe food around and then just eat all I want, but I'm not a big eater either. I lost 50 lbs. last year and now am stable at about 130 or so. I got no information from my PCP except a pat on the back when he tested my BG and found it 5.2, then 5.4 later. I don't know what desserts you cook, but I sure am skimpy with them myself. Our recipe section should be most helpful for you.

Take care,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts