Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Newly diagnosed, very scared

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  David Burke 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just got my diagonis yesterday. My fasting was 250 and HbA1C was 12.7

Other test (eyes, feet, heart, kindney, lever) were all within range but cholestrol was 223 (Triglicirides ~220).

The Doctor has given me two medicines and said to come back in 15 days. He says if things dont respond with medicines he may put me on insulin....

I am overweight as well, about 70 lbs over my required weight. I've started my exercise and strict diet control from the last two days. I know I can loose the weight (i've done it before) but how do I have an impact in 15 days ?

I just so scared.... Im not sure where I would go from here.

#2 ·
The scariest thing about diabetes is not knowing anything about it: what it will mean in our lives, what the ramifications are, how we can manage it, if we can manage it ... and what the heck can we eat?! For a type 2, that heads the list.

To being your education, you might want to do some reading at Blood Sugar 101 - it's a wealth of information, all backed up by studies.

The most important thing I can tell you is: you will be fine. You'll have to make some changes in your life, but you will become healthier because you will lose your weight (we're here to help you!), gain energy, and learn how to be the healthiest person you can be. You'll probably become healthier than many of your friends.

If you have to go on insulin, it's not a disaster, it's just the first step in control if you need it. Many people go on insulin, take charge of their diabetes, and find they are then able to go off of it. Time will tell. But it's all workable, manageable.

Do you have a meter to test with? Just taking medication is not going to control your diabetes, you need to get involved. That means cutting back on carbohydrates (rice, grains, fruit, potatoes) and testing your blood sugar 2 hours after meals to see what impact the food has had. You cut back or eliminate foods that have a bad effect on your blood sugar.

Read the site I gave you the link to about normal blood sugar levels and what we should strive for as diabetics.

Welcome to the forum!

#3 ·
Thanks for your message. it felt nice to get some support from here. I know I'll get over this in sometime, but I am just too overwhelmed right now. I just cant control my emotions at the moment.

I have just gotten myself a meter and will start monitoring from tomorrow morning onwards. I started my meds last night.

I have started exercising both in the morning and evening. I know this is something I have to learn to live with so I just hope I can get a grip on this at the earliest and get on with my life.

#4 ·
hi Tony...it sure can be a shock...the best thing is you found this community...people here have experience and its friendly and informative...please ask any question you need...someone will have an answer for you

#5 ·
Tony, you'll be fine, stay positive and work on control. Diet and exercise will benefit you. When I got diagnosed my A1C was almost 10 3 months later I was 6.5 and lost 30lbs. It takes a lot of work but determination is the key. I am still scared from time to time.

I wrote a blog on the pumpkin patch - educational toy store, it's my personal website, check it out.

#7 · (Edited)
I am a type 2, not taking any meds. I know 2 weeks doesn't sound like much time to lose some weight and get your bg down, but you can do it if you start right now.

Test in the side of the finger, underneath and near the nail pad, do not test in the fingertips because nerves are there and you can cause permanent nerve damage.

Always keep your bg below 140, that is where some bad damage can happen to your organs and body. Many try to keep their bg below 130, which is healthier, and some try not to go much over 100. It is a decision you have to make on your own. As moon suggested, if you go to bs101 and read the section about what is normal bg, it should help you decide what range you want your bg to be at all times.

Lots of the advice you will get here will fly in the face of everything you have been taught about what food is healthy for you, but the things we tell you are backed up with sound scientific research at bs101 and we can tell you from our personal experience, it is the healthiest way to eat, will lower your bg, lower your cholesterol and triglycerides, is good for your health and will help you lose weight without even trying. I am talking about a low carb/high fat diet. But we're not talking just any fat here, but the right type of fat.

Here is a link to a post I made earlier when someone asked what they should be eating. My advice to you for these first 2 weeks at least is to avoid bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, beans, corn, peas and any other starchy food and just stick with those foods that I linked to. Also, do not try to eat low calorie or low fat to lose weight. Just concentrate on getting and keeping your bg down, and you will lose weight automatically.

Bg is usually kind of high in the morning (fasting bg), and the longer you wait to eat, the higher it will go. Carbs will spike you a lot in the morning, so eat as little carbs as possible for breakfast. Many eat sausage and eggs for breakfast, or you can eat scrambled eggs with cheese. Just make sure it is mostly fat and protein you eat in the morning and your bg should drop fast after eating.

Test your fasting bg in the morning. Test 2 hrs. after eating, espeically when trying a new food with carbs in it. If a food spikes you too much, remove it from your food list. It won't take long before you know how many carbs and what you can eat to keep your bg where you want it. No one can tell you how many carbs to eat, everyone is different, so us type 2's have to eat to our meter. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, and please do as much reading at bs101 as you can. Welcome to the forum.

P.S. I forgot to mention, eat 5 or 6 small meals or snacks a day.

#8 ·
Is this possible ??

I just got home from work, with the glucometer. Did a random test twice. Got readings of 130 and 126

Does this happen ?. It has been 8 hours since lunch

Yesterday morning Fasting was 250 (HbA1C was 12.5). Since then i've exercised three times (45 minutes each) watched my diet. Ate food normally. Just reduced all in between snacks. Have had Galvus Met 50/500 mg tablets twice (last night and this morning) and one Amaryl this morning...

Is this a fluke result ? Cause Im kinda shocked !

#11 ·
Did a test again after dinner

Before dinner 126/130 (did twice)
Post dinner (2 hours) 174

A day after I was diagnosed, I am feeling slightly better for the first time.

Is seeing a drop like this usually the case with first time medicine takers or is this just a fluke. Also does this mean that my body is responding to meds and I may not be put on insulin to acheive my bg targets ?

#12 ·
Anyways thanks guys it nice to have you guys to talk to

#13 ·
My blood glucose was over 600 when I was diagnosed and w/in a couple of weeks I had it down to the low 100's (120-140) and a week after that my fastings were in the 90's. That's my best recall without searching through specific info.

Yes, you can bring your numbers down dramatically very quickly (doesn't work for everyone though of course) with change in diet and help from medication, or any combination.

What did you eat for dinner when you had a 174 2 hours afterwards? That's a high spike from 126 and says there is something in that meal you perhaps shouldn't eat. If you had rice for example, you could try the same meal without it - measuring before and after - and see the effect it's having on you.

You're off to a great start!

#14 ·
Guys thanks for all your support over the last few days.

My Sugar levels are dropping and getting controlled (i think) as a result of the medication, exercise and diet control.

Yesterday's fasting and PP were 150 and 180. In the evening the reading was 115 (6 hours post lunch and 12 hours post medicine). Totay morning's fasting was 125 and PP (2hours later) was 148

Its been 3 days since I've started medication, diet control and exercise

What do you guys think of the medicine prescribed to me ? I've been given a the following
1. Galvus 50/500 (Vildagliptin 50/ Metformin 500)
2. Amarly 2mg ?

Thanks

Reactions: AkitaUTSF
#15 ·
Guys,

Sometimes (over the last two days) I am feeling very tired and down. Checked my BGs. Its been in the 90's and once 89. Today morning the fasting was 93

I've just started medication, exercise and diet control (from 5 days back). Are these levels alarmingly low especially because it's just been five days ?

The doctor had asked me to come in 2 weeks. Do you think should go earlier ?

As mentioned earlier the medication prescribed to me is the following:
1. Galvus 50/500 (Vildagliptin 50/ Metformin 500)
2. Amarly 2mg ?

#16 ·
In my own experience it took me quite a few months before I started to feel better, even once the BGs had come under control. Your body needs to adjust to the new regime and lower BGs and your brain is still coming to terms with the diagnosis. 8 months on, I am still coming to terms with it... It is a long, winding and bumpy road we travel.

#17 ·
Those are good safe numbers, Tony, but your body may be rebelling because it's accustomed to running much higher. Stay the course & if you drop below 70, you can drink some orange juice or other fast-acting carb to give it a boost, but don't get carried away & drink a whole glassful.

I have no experience with the medications you mention; I believe vildagliptin is not marketed in the US. Amarly is a sulfonylurea drug which may cause lows, if I'm not mistaken, but as I said, I have no personal experience with it.

#18 ·
Hi Guys, I had my doctor's apointment today. Just for information my BG levels have dropped significantly. Fastings are generally 100 and 2 hour after meals has been in the 105-120 range. Random tests 4-5 hours after meals is generally in the 85-95 range.

The doctor asked me to go off the Amaryl (2mg once a day) tablets and said if my numbers remain good he may actually put me on simple metformin. Currently I am taking Galvus 50/500 mg twice a day (which has 50 mg of vildagliptin and 500 mg of metformin)

He has advised that I continue with my exercise regimen and continue to loose weight. I've gotta go back and in 2.5 months with a new HbA1c

Just thought will let you guys know of my progress. Thanks for all your help over the last three weeks

Tony

Reactions: moon and Shanny
#20 ·
Guys, would dig into your wealth of experience yet again.

Please tell me whether is it normal for me to see a little rise in my bg levels today (about 20-30 points) since I have stopped the daily Amaryl tablet from Friday morning.

I am keen to make things work with minimal tablets. So should I excercise more / eat less than I did in the first three weeks ?

Thanks

#21 ·
I would suspect the removal of the medication would have something to do with the higher numbers. Not sure if more exercise would help but maybe it is time to really look at what you are eating and maybe making some changes there.

#22 ·
I wanted to post this for a while. I am not really starting this thread again for replies but more for a closure of sorts.

So here I am after 6 months.

Last weekend I was instructed by my doc to stop all medication. I went off the Amaryl (glimepride) after 15 days of the above post and off the vildagliptin about 2 months later and was on metformin ever since..

My last HbA1c was 5.4 and I am sure it's still heading downwards. I am 63 pounds lighter and now plan to loose another 27.

I am extremely thankful to everyone here on the forum. Nothing has helped me more than the support and guidance I got here on this forum.

Reactions: moon
#23 ·
Hi Tony

Reading your complete story is fabulous. Congratulations on the rapid turnaround on your numbers, getting
such good control and reducing medications. What a delightful update. Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.