The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm Niki from Georgia USA. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2 weeks ago. I have a family history of diabetes, but everyone is type 1 and insulin dependent while I am on the Metformin pills. I am overweight and struggling to lose weight. Everyone says to go the " no carb" way, but that is extremely hard. I look forward to making new friends here.

O

·
0 Posts
Welcome Niki :) I'm type 2 also. It's hard when you are newly diagnosed to take in all the information... but trust me it does get easier. What we have all learnt here is that we are all different and what works for one may not necessarily work for the other. The best thing to do is eat using your glucometer and see what foods do to your blood sugars. Most of us here would definitely be testing first thing in the morning when we wake up, then 2 hours after a meal... but also 1 hour after a meal will give you a good idea whether or not a food is spiking your BGL too high. If the food makes your sugars too high either adjust your portion or exclude it from your diet. The aim is to have steady sugar levels too... so you don't want spikes happening if you can help it. To do that you need to get a better understanding of types of carbs there are and stick to the wholegrain carbs and not the refined white stuff. Some people on this forum can get away with eating extreme low carb diet and others can't do that so much... it depends on what works for you... only you can discover that for yourself. I recommend the Glycemic Index as a guide to help you figure out which carbs are better for you (just google, plus there is info in other posts here about it). There is so much information and different opinions floating about... trial everything yourself. Ask all the questions you want and feel free to share your experiences as you go.

·
Registered
165 Posts
welcome to the site I'm a T2 as well. don't know about No carb but reducing your carbs can help a lot to control your sugars.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Niki, and thank you for joining us.

I am also type 2, and taking only metformin. My experience is that it curbs my appetite as well as regulating blood sugar, but it works particularly well with a low carb way of eating.

Eating to your meter is the best way to get things under control as soon as possible, doing as Mep says - testing at one hour after eating and avoiding the foods which send your BG over 140 (7.7) - if you begin to avoid eating the "white" foods (rice/potatoes/bread/pasta/sweets/anything made with grain) you'll see immediate decreases in your blood sugar levels. Get a good carb counter like CalorieKing . . . and of course, get a meter & start using it frequently! :)

And hang in there . . . we're all in the same boat here & the support from this crew is amazing! They've kept me from running aground many times! :D

Take care and visit us often!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank u everyone. So far I have kept my blood sugar levels under 200 except when drinking orange juice. So I have cut oj out of my diet. I just can't seem to get it under 145. My doctor gave me a meter but I have to buy the strips myself because my job does not provide health insurance. Does anyone know of a company or program that sells strips at a low price. I use the One Touch Ultra 2.

I have completely taken sweets(soda, candy, and pastries) out of my diet. The next step is to get rid of the potatoes and pastas.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I pay for my own out of pocket too, Niki, and the meter I use is ReliOn Confirm from Walmart . . . their strips are half the price of many others. I think there are other chains too, that have their own discounted brands - like Kroger & Walgreens.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi everyone I'm Niki from Georgia USA. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2 weeks ago. I have a family history of diabetes, but everyone is type 1 and insulin dependent while I am on the Metformin pills. I am overweight and struggling to lose weight. Everyone says to go the " no carb" way, but that is extremely hard. I look forward to making new friends here.
Hello and welcome to the forum Niki! I am T2 on insulin. I was able to control my diabetes with diet & exercise and Glipizde XL for 5 years. I then needed to go on insulin. There is a lot of information that you can read on here. I hope you will feel comfortable here and have the time to visit often and I hope you make some new friends. Take Care!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
breezeonby said:
Hello and welcome to the forum Niki! I am T2 on insulin. I was able to control my diabetes with diet & exercise and Glipizde XL for 5 years. I then needed to go on insulin. There is a lot of information that you can read on here. I hope you will feel comfortable here and have the time to visit often and I hope you make some new friends. Take Care!
Thank u so much. It is very hard to change ur eating habits overnight, but I am trying. I have been greatly blessed. My A1C was 10 and doctors suspect I have been diabetic for over a year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Niki - Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of very supportive folks here! If you're concerned about low-carb, check out some of the recipes here, there are some tasty ones for sure.

Another great tip for lowering your b/s is to hop on that treadmill, walk in your neighborhood, etc. You'll find that you can drop 20-30 points (or more) in your levels after a short, but brisk walk.

Since you're from GA, check out Publix diabetes management program. I get my Metformin there for $0 and they (like many other chains) also have their own meters and discounted strips. Not all meters are created the same, so it's largely preference - don't be surprised if you go through a couple before settling. I have a Accu-Chek Compact Plus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
beaner293 said:
Hi Niki - Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of very supportive folks here! If you're concerned about low-carb, check out some of the recipes here, there are some tasty ones for sure.

Another great tip for lowering your b/s is to hop on that treadmill, walk in your neighborhood, etc. You'll find that you can drop 20-30 points (or more) in your levels after a short, but brisk walk.

Since you're from GA, check out Publix diabetes management program. I get my Metformin there for $0 and they (like many other chains) also have their own meters and discounted strips. Not all meters are created the same, so it's largely preference - don't be surprised if you go through a couple before settling. I have a Accu-Chek Compact Plus.
Yes Publix is great. I get my metformin from there. The only thing is the doctor was me to use this particular machine so he can load the results to their computers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome . . . It is good that you found us, and I know that you will develop some good friends and positive support on this forum. You may not be able to beat diabetes, but, you sure can stay on top of it with a good mind-set, and a positive approach to your treatment plan!

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
righteousdude2 said:
Welcome . . . It is good that you found us, and I know that you will develop some good friends and positive support on this forum. You may not be able to beat diabetes, but, you sure can stay on top of it with a good mind-set, and a positive approach to your treatment plan!

Pastor Paul
Thank u so much. Everyone has made me feel so welcome.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Niki.

No Carb is the way to go in my opinion. once you break free of your carb addiction you will see the weight come off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ThoseBackPages said:
Welcome to the Forum Niki.

No Carb is the way to go in my opinion. once you break free of your carb addiction you will see the weight come off.
Thank u. I am trying really hard to get away from the carbs.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello Niki,

I'm sorry I didn't say hello sooner but I don't visit the "Welcome New Members" page as much as I should. I too am from Georgia and I'm delighted you found this site as soon as you did. Please make yourself at home and don't be afraid to ask questions. I am a newbie also and don't know if I can help you much with answers to problems but we have some very knowledgeable people here that are more than happy to give you assistance. Please take some time to read "Blood Sugar 101" . It is a wealth of information that can get you started in the right direction.

Blood Sugar 101

Good luck with your sugar control, it's really easier then you may think. It takes a little time to get used to but there's plenty of wonderful things to eat that are not only delicious but great for diabetic.

If I can help you in any way please let me know.

Bugg:) great to meet a fellow cracker

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Niki,
I too am an overweight Type 2. Sharply reducing carbs and increasing exercise will get you off to a good start. I found that I saw fast results with this. It took about 6 weeks to see results after starting Metformin, but it did help curb my appetite. I have gone from 247 lbs. to 215 in a few months, and my fasting blood sugar has gone from about 165 to the 95-105 range. Hang in there! If you have questions or get frustrated, this is a great group to help you out!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Niki,
I too am an overweight Type 2. Sharply reducing carbs and increasing exercise will get you off to a good start. I found that I saw fast results with this. It took about 6 weeks to see results after starting Metformin, but it did help curb my appetite. I have gone from 247 lbs. to 215 in a few months, and my fasting blood sugar has gone from about 165 to the 95-105 range.
Congrats, Eeyore . . . way to go! :peace:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts