The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was diagnosed with type 2 just 3 weeks ago and the learning curve is amazing and scary. My father had type 2 also, not a very good outcome. I am married for 40 years and have two grown kids and a granddaughter. I think that is a lot to live for.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Although I would rather not have Diabetes, it is a very manageable disease. Those who suffer complications usually don't take it seriously and don't manage their bgs very well. My CDE told me bgs as high as 180 were OK. I found out pretty soon that was not good for me if I wanted to keep all my vital body parts. I now try to keep bgs as close to normal as possilble. It is doable with the right diet and meds. I have been married for 34 years and have 5 almost grown kids, only one married so far but no grandkids yet. I want to see lots of grandkids and see them grow up. So that is my motivation to stick to a strict low carb diet, get out and exercise and keep a normal weight. I feel after 4 years I am a lot more healthier.

G

·
welcome Rohn :) yep, I don't like having diabetes either. But I beg to differ in that people can look after themselves and still get sick or complications. I have a family member with diabetes too and they are very strict... but what do you know they have leg ulcers thanks to diabetes and accidently scratching leg in the garden one day. As for myself I try my best and I would say I look after myself... but I've been quite sick too. So I don't think you get to pick and choose with this disease... but you do get to try your best to avoid the yuk stuff and you've probably noticed there's lots of theories and advice on how to do that. The main thing for me is to keep a positive attitude. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts