The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm Scott. I'm 27 and was diagnosed about 3weeks ago. Still waiting to find out what type but they think poss. Type 1.
Returned bloods report high glucose for at least the last three months, top end of normal insulin production but found "antibodies".

Currently I've just been told to monitor levels and take 40mg of Glicazide a twice a day.

I'm starting to work out the good foods for my blood with the help of the Internet. Not finding it too bad at the moment as I'm not really a fan of fast convenience food... In terms of taste anyway - I love the convenience element of it.

Anyway just wanted to say hi to you all!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome to DF, Scott. Good that you're already investigating the changes you'll be making. Never hurts to be a step ahead. We have many type 1 members, and a wealth of wisdom & experience, so ask all the questions you have - someone will have some thoughts for you! :)

Those antibodies are what makes them suspicious of type 1 - or possible 1.5 (LADA).

Take care & visit us often!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the sound of that Type 1.5 it makes it sounds like I have an upgrade :) thanks for the welcome shanny. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions over the next few months.

G

·
welcome Scott :) you sound like you're on the right track there. It's a bit daunting when you first get diagnosed... I'm sure all of us here remember it well. But it doesn't take long to figure things out. Basically you will carry on figuring things... same as life really. You have to find what works best for you, and of course the glucometer is the only tool we have that tells us what's going on from day to day (aside from the periodical lab tests). Hopefully they figure out what type of diabetes you actually have... I wouldn't think it would be type 2 as type 2 don't have antibodies. It's probably either type 1 or 1.5 (which is slow onset type 1 really). I'm type 2 (I was diagnosed as 25yo back in 1998) on full time insulin, but that's because my pancreas no longer produces enough insulin for my needs... not because I have antibodies. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome Scott. Usually presence of antibodies may indicate you may be at risk for Type 1 at same point. But some people who present with antibodies never do get it. So they will keep an eye on your C peptide test to see if your insulin producing beta cells are getting lower. Sometimes antibodies indicate an autoimmune attack on your pancreas.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Scott, welcome! Type 1 diabetes can be controlled and you can have a long, healthy life. I have been type 1 for 65 years, and am very healthy.
Ask all the questions you want, we want to help.

Richard

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Scott! I was diagnosed Type 1 just a bit ago as well and have found this forum to be a great source of information and support. Don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi people!!!

So last week I think I did pretty well with all my levels from Tuesday lunch to Friday lunch all being in single figures.

My goal for this week is to get ALL my levels below 9.9 with my 2x 40mg Glicazide, exercise and my diet. I take at least three tests a day at the moment the highest usually the out of bed levels. I hope to get them all below 7 if can.

Any tips?

G

·
Hi people!!!

So last week I think I did pretty well with all my levels from Tuesday lunch to Friday lunch all being in single figures.

My goal for this week is to get ALL my levels below 9.9 with my 2x 40mg Glicazide, exercise and my diet. I take at least three tests a day at the moment the highest usually the out of bed levels. I hope to get them all below 7 if can.

Any tips?
that's a good start Scott :D
My only tip which I'm sure you already know is to continue with watching diet and exercise. I'm not sure whether you have results as to what type of diabetes you have? I'm thinking if you are able to control your diabetes with oral meds only, you're probably type 2. Oral meds work on existing insulin in the body. You want to try and preserve your insulin production really by not having your pancreas work so hard. Restricting carb intake is the best thing. You have probably already noticed that there are different theories about this on this site as what works for some, doesn't work for others. A lot of members are doing the high fat/low carb diet which works for them... there's no harm in you trying this to see if it works for you. It doesn't work for me, but I figured that out myself (my cholesterol increased). If you try anything new, make sure you keep your blood tests regular (lab tests) so you know what your levels are for sugar/cholesterol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts