The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am Jamie and I was diagnosed yesterday with type 2 diabetes (yay for me)..lol~ Anyway, I am hopeing to reverse my diabetes with weight loss. Have any of you done this? I am only 32 and over weight by about 30 lbs. I have already lost 10 using phentermine. I have my fingers crossed that the weight loss will be a success and I will not have to deal with this as it terrifies me...lol! Thanks in advance for any responces!:confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Hi Jamie - welcome to the forum. I can relate to the diagnosis being a shock, but the good thing about you jumping online, reading, and talking to real people with diabetes, is that it will take the boogey-man out of it. Knowledge is not only power, but comforting.

You don't have diabetes because you're 30 lbs overweight. Go to this excellent site - Blood Sugar 101 - and click on "You did not eat your way to diabetes" - then while you're there, browse around to jump start your education.

Do you know what your numbers are? How did you find out you have diabetes? Did your doctor make any recommendations? Do you have a blood glucose meter for testing? This isn't an inquisition, but will be helpful in learning more about you so we can give feedback, and answer questions you must have.

You'll be fine. Making a few changes (cutting carbs is primary) will both help manage your diabetes and make you healthier in general.

Glad you joined us - take a deep breath, it's all going to be okay. Honest. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just feeling bad so I checked w/my moms meter it was 289 (highest it has ever been) this was after eating at Mcdonalds so needless to say I had overloaded on carbs that day. I do now have a meter myself and as for getting my readings I do not have insurance so I have to wait till the 9th when a local health wagon will be in my area to get the labs completed.

My doctor told me I probably became a diabetic due to the weight and not beign active. Now that I have the diagnoses I have all the will power in the world to get healthy.

I have done a lot of studing up on diabetes and do I feel I should be able to manage it. I check my BG right now before and after meals so I can try to figure out what foods work for me. Right now I am trying to stay between 45-60 carbs at each meal and so far so good. I did however have a reading of 209 yesterday after my walk (pretty vigorous though). So hopefully over time I will be able to get it all under control. Thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I would strongly suggest not to exercise when BGs are in the 200s. During exercise BGs can rise and if you sre already that high it can go upto dangerous levels

Welcome by the way.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I was just feeling bad so I checked w/my moms meter it was 289 (highest it has ever been) this was after eating at Mcdonalds so needless to say I had overloaded on carbs that day. I do now have a meter myself and as for getting my readings I do not have insurance so I have to wait till the 9th when a local health wagon will be in my area to get the labs completed.

My doctor told me I probably became a diabetic due to the weight and not beign active. Now that I have the diagnoses I have all the will power in the world to get healthy.

I have done a lot of studing up on diabetes and do I feel I should be able to manage it. I check my BG right now before and after meals so I can try to figure out what foods work for me. Right now I am trying to stay between 45-60 carbs at each meal and so far so good. I did however have a reading of 209 yesterday after my walk (pretty vigorous though). So hopefully over time I will be able to get it all under control. Thanks
Hello there and welcome to the club.

As @moon said, just being overweight does not cause diabetes. But I notice that your family does have a history, and genetics are definitely linked to getting diabetes.

Name of the game is cutting back on carbohydrates - that means dumping bread, potatoes, pasta, rice and all high carb junk food! It sounds drastic, but after a few weeks you will start to wonder what you saw in the junk!

I lost 30 pounds in that many weeks simply by changing away from carbohydrate laden meals. Currently I get by on 70 to 80 grams per day. The message on Blood Sugar 101 is "eat to the meter" - and the technique works.

Minor point - exercise is important but ideally should not be done when you have a high blood glucose reading - it may actually make it worse!:eek:. Again, this means - check your meter before you start - if you are high, wait a bit!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I was dx'd with Diabetes I was 148 pounds. It was pretty normal for my height. I now weigh 120 pounds and I am still Diabetic. As others have said we are not diabetic because we weigh too much. We are diabetic because our endocrine systems begin to fail. Many of us can control our bgs with low carb diet, medication , insulin and exercise. My bgs most of the day are in the 100 range even after I eat. I do that by controlling my carbs at each meal. I rarely eat more than 10-15 carbs per meal. I now know foods like bread, cereal, rice, pasta, sugar, french fries all spike me so I don't eat them anymore.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Eating

Eating is the key. Eat at the proper times, eat the proper LCHF stuff, don't skip meals. Sounds like one would get fat. Not!! I have found that I just can't eat anything past 6:30 or BS will be high next morning.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm newly diagnosed also. It's been about 3 months. I can echo basically everything all these other awesome people have said. Good luck with your journey ... you're getting off to a great start by surrounding yourself with people that can help you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts