The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with type 1 about 3 weeks ago. Am dealing with the insulin injections alright (only once a night before I go to bed) but am really having a hard time finding recipes for breakfast foods. My doctor has limited me to 30 carbs per meal with two or three 15 carb snacks. While I enjoy eggs, I've never eaten them every day. I'm used to having cereal or waffles or pancakes with juice. Now, it seems, those things are out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Or could you direct me to some recipe sites that would have more options that will fit into my 30 carb limit?

Thanks in advance.
Skippy

·
Super Moderator
1,998 Posts
Hi, Skippy! Welcome to our site!

I'm sorry you have to get used to the diabetic way of life. Changing what you eat is one of the big things you've got to address. But I hope we can help.

There is a recipe forum on this site. Everything there is low-carbohydrate so it would be easy to fit into your eating plan. Many of us here manage our diabetes (primarily Type 2) by eating very-low-carb and exercising so we need tips on how to change meals from waffles and juice or donuts and coffee to foods that are better for us. You'll find some in there.

Eggs are a good source of protein and, really, they're pretty flexible. You can eat them fried, hardboiled, softboiled, poached, in omelets filled with veggies or other ingredients, etc. It would be possible to eat eggs most mornings, in different ways, without getting too tired of them.

However, either as a bridge as you change what you eat or just because you really like that kind of food, there are very-low-carb (sometimes called "keto") versions of cereals and breads available commercially. There also are many recipe forums that create low-carb cakes and the like that don't necessarily taste just like the originals but fill in when you can't eat the real thing. Search for eating keto and you'll find many of those. I'm pretty set on eggs for breakfast each day so I can't say how good some of these sites are at breakfast foods, but a couple of my favorite keto recipe sites are reddit's ketorecipes subforum and All Day I Dream About Food.

I hope others here post their favorite sites, too.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Hi Skippy, welcome to the forum.

As far as ideas for breakfast you might want to check out our diet and nutrition forum, here is a link to it. There are sticky threads at the top of the page for breakfast and other meals as well as snacks that members have submitted. Maybe something there will be of interest. I know a lot of people have mentioned that breakfast doesn't have to be typical breakfast food, they sometimes enjoy leftovers from the previous days evening meal.

There really is no reason you can't eat eggs more often. When I was eating breakfast, I ate eggs almost every day. My wife would change up how they were prepared, fried, scrambled, omelet, and omelets can be made many different ways for variety.

As far as the type one diagnosis, it sounds strange that you are only taking insulin at night. I am assuming that it is a long lasting insulin, Are you checking your BG regularly to see what it is doing after meals?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Hi Skippy,
Welcome to the best place on the internet for encouragement, knowledge and support!
I've been here for 10 years and I just learned about a new source for recipes in this thread (reddit). Thanks @mbuster

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Reddit link was from itissteve..

Reactions: etherea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Skippy! Welcome to our site!

I'm sorry you have to get used to the diabetic way of life. Changing what you eat is one of the big things you've got to address. But I hope we can help.

There is a recipe forum on this site. Everything there is low-carbohydrate so it would be easy to fit into your eating plan. Many of us here manage our diabetes (primarily Type 2) by eating very-low-carb and exercising so we need tips on how to change meals from waffles and juice or donuts and coffee to foods that are better for us. You'll find some in there.

Eggs are a good source of protein and, really, they're pretty flexible. You can eat them fried, hardboiled, softboiled, poached, in omelets filled with veggies or other ingredients, etc. It would be possible to eat eggs most mornings, in different ways, without getting too tired of them.

However, either as a bridge as you change what you eat or just because you really like that kind of food, there are very-low-carb (sometimes called "keto") versions of cereals and breads available commercially. There also are many recipe forums that create low-carb cakes and the like that don't necessarily taste just like the originals but fill in when you can't eat the real thing. Search for eating keto and you'll find many of those. I'm pretty set on eggs for breakfast each day so I can't say how good some of these sites are at breakfast foods, but a couple of my favorite keto recipe sites are reddit's ketorecipes subforum and All Day I Dream About Food.

I hope others here post their favorite sites, too.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will check them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Skippy, welcome to the forum.

As far as ideas for breakfast you might want to check out our diet and nutrition forum, here is a link to it. There are sticky threads at the top of the page for breakfast and other meals as well as snacks that members have submitted. Maybe something there will be of interest. I know a lot of people have mentioned that breakfast doesn't have to be typical breakfast food, they sometimes enjoy leftovers from the previous days evening meal.

There really is no reason you can't eat eggs more often. When I was eating breakfast, I ate eggs almost every day. My wife would change up how they were prepared, fried, scrambled, omelet, and omelets can be made many different ways for variety.

As far as the type one diagnosis, it sounds strange that you are only taking insulin at night. I am assuming that it is a long lasting insulin, Are you checking your BG regularly to see what it is doing after meals?
Yes, I'm on long lasting insulin. And, I want to thank you for the smile and laugh...I noticed you used BG for blood glucose. I've been using the initials BS...is helping me to deal with this new pain in the butt way of living.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Yes Blood Glucose and Blood Sugar are interchangeable terms for what we measure, but BS does seem to describe the condition quite well too.

Were you previously diagnosed as a Type 2? Were antibody tests used to make the Type 1 determination?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Blood Glucose and Blood Sugar are interchangeable terms for what we measure, but BS does seem to describe the condition quite well too.

Were you previously diagnosed as a Type 2? Were antibody tests used to make the Type 1 determination?
I was not diagnosed with type 2 at all and didn't have any symptoms. No excessive thirst, no sores that wouldn't heal. etc. I went for a pre-op physical and my A1C was very high, the doctor said.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Wonder how they came to the conclusion it is type 1, are you saying the only test was A1c that they based it on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wonder how they came to the conclusion it is type 1, are you saying the only test was A1c that they based it on?
I guess so. I have been such an emotional wreck, that I couldn't even think of any questions to ask. I just accepted the diagnosis and am doing the best I can with it. It's a long long story and I've been stressed to the max for many, many years. I'm also on meds for my high blood pressure and depression along with thyroid pills.

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Not saying you are not Tyoe 1, but IMO, if A1c and BG reading is all that was used to come to the conclusion that you are Type 1, I would probably ask for a referral (if necessary) to see an endocrinologist. They are more specialized with autoimmune diseases like diabetes and thyroid issues. If I couldn't get in to see an endo, I would ask for more tests to be run. There are about 6 other test that can be used to verify if really a Type 1. Here is a link to a page with a brief discussion about Type 1 and testing that can be done.
Because each case can be as unique as the individual, some doctors may employ the following tests to find markers of T1D to ensure the optimal treatment plan:

C-Peptide
While most tests check for antibodies, this test measures how much C-peptide is in a person’s blood. Peptide levels typically mirror insulin levels in the body. Low levels of C-peptide and insulin can point to T1D.

Insulin Autoantibodies (IAA)
This tests looks for the antibodies targeting insulin.

Insulinoma-Associated-2 Autoantibodies (IA-2A)
This test looks for antibodies mounted against a specific enzyme in beta cells. Both the IA-2A and GADA tests are common T1D antibody tests.

Zinc Transporter 8 (ZnT8Ab)
This test looks at antibodies targeting an enzyme that is specific to beta cells.

Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Autoantibodies (ICA)
Islet cells are clusters of cells in the pancreas that produce hormones, including insulin. This test identifies a type of islet cell antibodies present in up to 80 percent of people with T1D.

Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies (GADA or Anti-GAD)
This test looks for antibodies built against a specific enzyme in the insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells.
Disclaimer: My opinion and a dollar will get you a small cup of coffee most almost anywhere. If it were me, I'd be insisting for more follow up.

Reactions: itissteve
1 - 12 of 12 Posts