The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, sixsigma. The first doc wasn't being alarmist, he was just trying to control this thing as quickly as possible, and limit any possible damage being done by the high levels. Oral medicines are usually the first line of defense, and if they work without causing damage of their own, it's really great. Referring to damage done by oral meds, there are many oral meds which pummel the pancreas into making more insulin, and sometimes that organ begins to crack under the strain. Once the insulin-making beta cells in our pancreas give out, they're gone for good.

My opinion is that if you get quick results with the Amaryl/diet/exercise, go for it. But if it's still a struggle to get down to safe levels, don't hesitate to go for the insulin. You're a young person, and the longer you can keep your pancreas & beta cells alive & kicking, the better off you'll be.

(and in the interest of full disclosure :)D), I'm not on insulin myself, but my oral meds don't prod my pancreas to deliver more insulin either - I take metformin & all it does is help my tissues utilize the insulin that's available. My beta cells still get a little rest.)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.