The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my name is Judy I am from newfoundland canada I found out last year I have type 2 diabetes I am on no medication trying to lose a lot of weight first I can not exercise cause I have a very bad back and can not walk far, so I have a lot to handle, my problem is with the food knowing how many carbs fats and so on, would love to get help
thanks Judy:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Judy :):D, I know how you feel as I am also overweight but a type 1. I have been getting in to counting carbs as that's our main enemy. :( We love our carbs don't we? and sadly we have to look at the new way of eating.
Canada is cold now I know that to exercise is being out doors so a double whammy. :confused:
I would look at books like low GI and the calorie king books and try and leave the butter alone. I know I can just see you crying. It will not happen overnight so step in the right direction. ;):):D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Judy :):D, I know how you feel as I am also overweight but a type 1. I have been getting in to counting carbs as that's our main enemy. :( We love our carbs don't we? and sadly we have to look at the new way of eating.
Canada is cold now I know that to exercise is being out doors so a double whammy. :confused:
I would look at books like low GI and the calorie king books and try and leave the butter alone. I know I can just see you crying. It will not happen overnight so step in the right direction. ;):):D
thank you peter its sure going to be hard i love my carbs especially bread of any kind Judy:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
LOL Jude :), I love freshly baked bread!!! :D And also know what it dose to our BG. :confused: There are three bakeries here and *Sigh* I love 'em. :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL Jude :), I love freshly baked bread!!! :D And also know what it dose to our BG. :confused: There are three bakeries here and *Sigh* I love 'em. :eek:
peter is there any bread out there that we can eat althought I still have to have my bread Judy

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Judy, welcome to our community! I eat low carb bread. Whole grain bread digests more slowly than other breads so I buy low carb whole grain bread. Our blood sugar rises more slowly with whole grain. Peppridge Farm is the company that makes that bread in the USA. It may be sold there too. I also eat Country Kitchen oatmeal bread. Both breads have only 8 calories per slice. It does not taste as good as high carb breads but I can have sandwiches when I use it. I occasionally want a Big Mac at McDonalds. The bun used there is very high in carbs. I take two slices of my low carb bread and put the burger and sauce from the Big Mac between those slices of bread. I throw the bun away. I then have a low carb meal. I never eat fries. I eat other sandwiches at fast food places and at ounty fairs. Whole grain pasta can be found in our supermarkets. It is better for us than regular pasta. You can also buy whole grain flour for baking. There are many ways we can eat things we miss without them bothering our blood sugar levels so much. Good luck to you!

Richard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Judy, welcome to our community! I eat low carb bread. Whole grain bread digests more slowly than other breads so I buy low carb whole grain bread. Our blood sugar rises more slowly with whole grain. Peppridge Farm is the company that makes that bread in the USA. It may be sold there too. I also eat Country Kitchen oatmeal bread. Both breads have only 8 calories per slice. It does not taste as good as high carb breads but I can have sandwiches when I use it. I occasionally want a Big Mac at McDonalds. The bun used there is very high in carbs. I take two slices of my low carb bread and put the burger and sauce from the Big Mac between those slices of bread. I throw the bun away. I then have a low carb meal. I never eat fries. I eat other sandwiches at fast food places and at ounty fairs. Whole grain pasta can be found in our supermarkets. It is better for us than regular pasta. You can also buy whole grain flour for baking. There are many ways we can eat things we miss without them bothering our blood sugar levels so much. Good luck to you!

Richard
thank you Richard so much I will check around for the breads life is to short to have to worry about food LOL Judy:) If you have anymore ideas let me know ok

·
Registered
279 Posts
I eat a bread made by "Healthy Life". It is whole wheat and 7 net carbs per slice. I have also found these whole wheat sandwich 'rounds' that are like round, flat hamburger buns. They are 100 calories each but only about 15 net carbs. Sorry, I am not home to look at the bag and tell you company name or any other specifics. I also have discovered whole wheat, low carb tortillas. I have made lots of different things in those. I shred some chicken breast in a tortilla, pour some salsa and cheese on it, microwave it for about 15 seconds, roll it up and eat it. YUM. Also, ham, cheese, pickles rolled up in a tortilla. These tortillas have only 7 net carbs per tortilla. You can get pretty creative with them. Just browse around your local grocery store and see what you can find. I almost treat it as a game......and if I can found a good product that fits my dietary needs, I WIN. But I'm also one of those weirdos who loves to grocery shop. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts