The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 years ago, my endo put me on lipitor along with niacin due to high cholesterol and very high lp(a). My cholesterol came down significantly on the meds (along with lots of barley!), and my latest levels were:
TC: 137
LDL: 44
HDL: 73
Trig: 102

However, my lp(a) went up. A year ago it was in the low 100s. Now, it is in the 300s! My doctor was surprised, as was I. He told me niacin was the only thing that would lower lp(a). I expected it to at least stay in the 100s, if not decrease considering how low my cholesterol was and how much the niacin helped to raise my HDL. Does anyone else have experience with Lp(a) and niacin?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Not sure what Lp(a) is, if you could further explain.

I took massive amounts of fish oil and L-Carnitine to lower my total C, raise my HDL, lower my Trigs to 38

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lipoprotein (a) can effectively be managed by following the Pauling Protocol, namely Vit C + L-lysine and L-proline. This protocol will also assist to increase circulation, bringing cholesterol under control and stamping out arterial inflammation. I use 3000mg Vit C + 3000mg L-lysine and 500mg L-proline once or twice per day with excellent results. No need fir any other statins.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Took niacin for something like 15 yrs -- 2g per day. This was with a hashimoto's thyroiditis dx, but no diabetes dx.

First thing internist said when I got diabetes dx was, get off the niacin. I did, but 6 mos later tried it again. Stopped after 3 mos -- horrible, erratic unpredictable BG's. I quit it for good and threw it away. I know it is supposed to help, but it sure was not helping me any.

I eat saturated fats to raise my HDL now. And walk a lot. And 40 mg simvastatin, cut in half from the prescription of 89 ... Not sure about lp(a) since my docs do not measure it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not sure what Lp(a) is, if you could further explain.

I took massive amounts of fish oil and L-Carnitine to lower my total C, raise my HDL, lower my Trigs to 38

what are massive amounts? plus you said 'took'. Do you still take it? 1000mg seem to be what is recommended..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Foxl, the Pauling Protocol has been in existence for quite a few years. But it is not mainstream medicine. You can google it. You can also read the book by Owen Fonorow called Practising medicine without a license. My experience with this protocol was absolutely amazing. Just important not to use calcium ascorbate but rather ascorbic acid. I think ColaJim also uses this protocol.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
15g of fish oil 3 times a day, plus L-Carnitine, 2.5g twice a day on empty stomach. This was a 2 month therapy, any longer will reduce your immune system. The overall effect was: My HDL went up 4 pts, Trigs went down 51 pts from 89 to 38, LDL remained unchanged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts