The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to raise my HDL cholesterol and have read that niacin helps with that. I have read that if you take niacin that it makes diabetes medication and insulin less effective. Has anyone ever taken niacin while taking diabetes medication?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I need to raise my HDL cholesterol and have read that niacin helps with that. I have read that if you take niacin that it makes diabetes medication and insulin less effective. Has anyone ever taken niacin while taking diabetes medication?
That is why we say what works for me, may not work for you. I took niacin for about six months and did not notice any affect on my blood glucose levels. I did have the side effect of feeling very flushed and hot and sometimes a queezy stomach, but my blood glucose levels did not require any extra insulin outside of the scale I was using.

I would strongly suggest talking about this with your doctor if he has not prescribed niacin and mentioning your fears.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Bob! Welcome to our forums! Pretty sure I've seen you around other sites and glad you found us! Was hoping a knowledgable person would jump in to help with this niacin question.

Take care and hurry back!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is why we say what works for me, may not work for you. I took niacin for about six months and did not notice any affect on my blood glucose levels. I did have the side effect of feeling very flushed and hot and sometimes a queezy stomach, but my blood glucose levels did not require any extra insulin outside of the scale I was using.

I would strongly suggest talking about this with your doctor if he has not prescribed niacin and mentioning your fears.
My doctor is not concerned about my low HDL because the other cholesterol numbers are good. I don't think it is good to have a low HDL. You don't need a prescription for niacin, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey Bob! Welcome to our forums! Pretty sure I've seen you around other sites and glad you found us! Was hoping a knowledgable person would jump in to help with this niacin question.

Take care and hurry back!
Thanks! I was staying away because of a couple of issues - mostly personal. Now I find that my total post count is starting over and a couple of other parts of my profile are missing as well.

Appreciate that someone still knows me, even if I look like a newbie again. Oh well!!!
Bob

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Niacin

The link below suggests that Niacin can have several potential benefits, but the following quote also appears in the article.

"....niacin can also raise blood sugar levels, resulting in hyperglycemia, which is particularly dangerous for someone with diabetes."

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b3-000335.htm

I have been aware of this since I researched medications that cause high blood sugar, while writing my book.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks Richard,

Apparently I am one of the lucky ones. I do remember now that my doctor did warn me to stop if my blood glucose did go up; however, I had no increase or very minute increase at best, so I kept taking it until told to stop.

That is why I follow "what works for you, may not work for me"

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been taking Slo Niacin for about three months. I've been improving my health regimen from sloppy. Everything dropped, including my HDL. I'm doing what I can do, but nothing can change my genetics.

Bad eating habits and lack of exercise probably have more effect on blood sugar than Niacin!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I feel obliged to share my experience ...

After 15 years as a "true believer" in Niacin, I was diagnosed with D and was told by my internist to stop it! I was skeptical ... so I stopped it for a few months then resumed it with an Endo's guidance.

My blood sugar went INSANE! I could not AT ALL predict what it would be at any time of day, it was sooo frustrating. I quit it after less than 3 mos, and then went on insulin. My A1c was much higher from it.

My advice: if you are gonna use it, start with VERY gradually-increased doses and keep an eye on your BGs. I honestly think it contributed to my diagnosis in the first place!

Currently I am pursuing coconut oil, almonds, and EPA/DHA supplements to increase my HDL. And ... running.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dosage of Slo Nicin was gradual. I forget, but I need a calendar to help with with increases. I take two 250 mg/x2 daily (or 500 mg x2 daily). As I recall, it was one pill in the morning, increased to one pill in the morning and one pill at night, to two pills in the morning and one pill at night, to two pills in the morning and two pills at night).

Ray

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
... and if it is not messing up your blood sugar, go for it!

But if you begin noticing BG control problems, keep that niacin in mind!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Niacin

I took niacin for a short time and it raised my BS by 60 points so my doctor took me off. It might not happen to you though.
Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts